In your opinion, what are the top 5 NC wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Nc in July with 3 days of diving with Olympus and was wondering if you all could give me your opinions on the top 5 NC wreck dives since I'll get a small say in where we go that week. Thanks!

KidK9:
I'll be in Nc in July with 3 days of diving with Olympus and was wondering if you all could give me your opinions on the top 5 NC wreck dives since I'll get a small say in where we go that week. Thanks!

My top three from the Morehead area:
Caribe Sea - lots o sharks
U-352 - its a U boat so its cool the first time
Schurtz - lots o fish

I have dove NC a few times now, just got blown out this past weekend.... I would have to say diving out of Morehead City my top 5 sites would be;
U-352 - How many people can say they actually dove a WWII U-boat?

Carib Sea - if anything, just for the sharks

Aeolus - Easy, light penetration in the stern. Old Navy cable layer with a huge hole in the stern deck...ran into a couple of sharks inside....

Shurz - cuz it still giving up some artifacts

Papoose - It lies upside down but plenty of interesting things to get into.

Those would be my top 5 today. But I have to say, I don't think there is a bad wreck down there!

nj...all those are out of Morehead>>?

KidK9:

My favorites are Caribsea, U-382 and British Splendor. I've been blown out of the Papoose twice now, but hear it's fantastic. Good luck!

Well I would have to put the Indra in there... Not much to look at but my buddies boat gets there so it's alot cheaper then a charter.

Here are a few links to the local dive shops....

http://www.discoverydiving.com/

http://www.olympusdiving.com/

They both run there charters from there shops and have links to the the wrecks. All in all the diving is good here and the water temp is in the mid 70's now. By end of June July timeframe water temp should be around 80 at 60-70 feet. Depending on when the current comes in. In my humble opinion the best diving is in the winter. Much better vis and less folks stirring up the wrecks, But the downside is it is COLD!!!!

Just got back from Memorial Day weekend diving and the water is already blue and bottom temp is 74 at about 120fsw...so this year is looking really good! Top 5 (in no particular order)

U-352 - Big tube in the water but it's historical and you can
easily go into the forward torpedo hatch and say you
penetrated it :wink:

Caribsea - Usually go that direction if it's gonna be rough on
on some of the other wrecks...it's shallow (about
85fsw) so you get long dives....and the sharks are
cool

Papoose - Still some good stuff to see and you can do some
easy penetrations via the big ol crack in the hull
and the gaping wound in the stern

Schurz - Another historical dive as it was originally a WWI ship
the site is broken up but you can find bullets and
stuff. We found a ton this weekend as a new box of
ammo had been broken into :eyebrow:

Aeolus - Artificial reef so no artifacts but you can do some
good penetrations and see some good life here. We
also call this the flounder wreck as we can always
come up with a few nice flounders for sashimi on the
docks later. :11ztongue

These are probably the five most dived offshore wrecks but it's because this is world class wreck diving here! If you go with Discovery or Olympus, you'll probably do an offshore dive and an inshore dive...so you're likely to hit the Hutton or the Indra on the way back in. The Hutton is really broken up so you have to pay attention or you can get lost, but you can still find some artifacts. The Indra is an artificial reef that bottoms out around 70fsw (give or take) This is actually pretty fun as it's cut open in a lot of places so penetration is easy and you can go way into the depths of the ship...look for the bathrooms they're kinda cool (all the sinks are still mounted in a nice little row)

The Naeco is on my personal list but can be hard to get to. It's a little further out and it's in roughly 140fsw. The viz is usually 100ft or so and the water is a tad warmer out that far. (around 78-80) It doesn't get nearly the dives and therefore is a really cool dive...but again...on an open boat, you're likely to have some that choose not to dive that deep.

I would try to get a trip with Diver Down as you will normally do 2 offshore wrecks unless the weather starts to go south. Capt. Bobby Cox and his crew run a great trip and I think they have the best riding boat of the ones in the Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area.

Sorry for the wordiness but I dive these wrecks A LOT and wanted to pass along some of what I think would be useful knowledge :D

Hey-

Has anyone dove the new U-boat that was discovered off of NC..the U-701...it was the U-boat that successfully mined the Chesapeake Bay..caused quite some turmoil in WWII...I did my master thesis on it in grad school and was told it was recently located off of the banks...

Anyone have any information on its location or who has dived it recently??

Let me know

Thanks
-Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom