incident in January between dive boat & surfer near Kihei Boat Ramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually according to USCG rules (rules of the road) the vessel has the right of way not only because he's a powered vessel but also restricted in the ability to maneuver

?

It's been awhile and I don't know about Hawaii, but here powered vessel is more manueverable and in most cases would be the give way vessel. But some of the nav channels here are very restriced use limited to deeper draft / larger vessels. Most craft are limited to crossing rights only. Do the rules of the road even consider bobbing on a surfboard in a nav channel?

And whatever happened to "tonnage prevails"?

And whatever happened to "tonnage prevails"?[/quote]

Amen. As my uncle used to tell me, "You can have the right of way and still be dead."

?

It's been awhile and I don't know about Hawaii, but here powered vessel is more manueverable and in most cases would be the give way vessel. But some of the nav channels here are very restriced use limited to deeper draft / larger vessels. Most craft are limited to crossing rights only. Do the rules of the road even consider bobbing on a surfboard in a nav channel?

And whatever happened to "tonnage prevails"?

The channel in question is very narrow and waves were rolling in.

the rules are the same for all U.S. waters, the LESS maneuverable you are the more right of way you have, that's why sailboats with engines off and under sail are higher in the pecking order than a power boat, I can't remember the exact order but it was something like the following
deep drafted vessels
restricted in ability to maneuver
sailboats
power boats
sea planes
all other vessels including kayaks, canoes and jet skis (don't try to argue with the "canoe hui" on this one)

There actually was an incident in Honolulu where a surfer did get run over and got into the prop in the channel going into Kewalo Basin in 1993.

I was actually there surfing that day @ Point Panics, the surf was 12~15ft. The person that got killed (mike stone RIP) was close to me but well out of the marked channel, as a tour boat (pearl kai) was trying to enter kewalos a huge set came and the captain paniced and but the boat in hard reverse and backed out of the channel right into everyone that was surfing there (out of the channel) most of everyone got out of the way except for mike. The coast guard later determined that no one was at fault although did find the captain partionally at fault for going out that day with the channel closing out.

I was actually there surfing that day @ Point Panics, the surf was 12~15ft. The person that got killed (mike stone RIP) was close to me but well out of the marked channel, as a tour boat (pearl kai) was trying to enter kewalos a huge set came and the captain paniced and but the boat in hard reverse and backed out of the channel right into everyone that was surfing there (out of the channel) most of everyone got out of the way except for mike. The coast guard later determined that no one was at fault although did find the captain partionally at fault for going out that day with the channel closing out.

I didn't follow the details, I just remember hearing it on the news back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom