Independent/Part-Time instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got my C-card I immediately realized that I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Also didn't have any close aquaintances to practice with. So I found a solo instructor on the internet with whom I hooked up with for a few days of instruction on the reefs around Ft. Lauderdale. Best money I have invested so far. She and I went out on some shallow reefs and I got familiar with the diving process. She charged me more than I would have paid a full-time shop since I was the only one who would be paying her. No problemo. Gave me a lot of confidence and I took off from there.

When I got my C-card I immediately realized that I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Also didn't have any close aquaintances to practice with. So I found a solo instructor on the internet with whom I hooked up with for a few days of instruction on the reefs around Ft. Lauderdale. Best money I have invested so far. She and I went out on some shallow reefs and I got familiar with the diving process. She charged me more than I would have paid a full-time shop since I was the only one who would be paying her. No problemo. Gave me a lot of confidence and I took off from there.

That's why there is a difference between taking classes and being trained. Training implies a change in behavior. All but one of my classes, I was taught skills. But the one class taught me how to improve my thought process in order to evolve as a diver, and eventually as an instructor.

In the Project Management world, you do have the triple constraints. When we apply that to the dive instruction business specifically, the only constraint that must slip is the cost. If more time is needed, then quality should increase and cost can suffer. In my experience, the full-time dive instructors I've personally met, have not focused on quality, but bind themselves to time and cost and thus quality slips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom