Indonesia, Malaysia OR back to Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M@tt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone. I'm planning a 3 to 4 week trip to Southeast Asia in July 2013. I can not decide where to go: Indonesia, Malaysia or back to Philippines????

I spend about 6 weeks diving the Philippines a couple of years ago (Malapascua, Bohol, Porto Galera, Coron, Apo Island, Gato Island) and it was the best diving I have ever done and it is on my budget (poor student). I really enjoyed the low number of divers and boats on the dives (but I was there in the off season: July - August; diving and conditions were amazing).

Any suggestions about Indonesia and Malaysia? I know about diving in Bali, Sipadan, but how about something less travelled, yet on budget??? Any suggestions about a cheap liveaboards (luxury is not my style). Any good wreck diving (comparable to Coron in Philippines).

Basically, I am set on going back to Philippines but I know there is more!!! Please help me find my next amazing destinations.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
M@TT

Recommend Indonesia seeing as you have done a lot around the ppines. Recommend Bali and spend some time at tulumben and liberty wreck then down to Nusa lembongan. Lembongan v laid back and cheap, great diving with mantas and maybe molas at that time. Check out teofish divers and world diving there. Possibly even go over to gilli islands for some diving and partying All that can be done on a budget. Or possibly do 2 weeks Bali then fly to Sulawesi and do a week lembeh and a week bangka (that would be my option). All amazing diving and costs can be kept down. Similar prices to the ppines.

If ppines and being a student, go partying in Boracay for a week then head south to southern Leyte and then ferry over to bohol. Not whaleshark time in sogod bay jn southern leyte but great diving and quiet. Weather in ppines in July maybe crap with better chances south visayas . Bali, Sulawesi and gillia good weather in July.

Malaysia sipidan and mabul is v good, tioman/redang/perhentian all so so. Harder to do Sipidan on a budget but land options in Malaysia are immense. Depends if u just want class diving or more options re dining, parties, treks etcc

i vote lembeh for a week ( at least)..

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!!! Im looking into how to get to and around Indo,... Im mainly interested in diving (not to keen to treck, dine,...) but it is also nice to have a few beer and party here and there (not koh san road style!!!)

What kind of diving can I expect in Sulawesi, Bali. I've done some muck in Duamaguete. Is it comperable?

Any other suggestions?? Are there other wreck outside of Bali? A cheap liveaboard?

THANKS A LOT!

You could get a cheap liveaboard in the Komodo area, but keep in mind that when you get cheap liveaboards in a remote area like Komodo, you pretty much get what you pay for, both in terms of comfort as well as standards of professionalism.

Coron is exceptional in term of wreck diving. Truk is much better but the cost is......!!!!!!!
Lembeh is a lot better than Dumaguete if you are into critters.

Weather is your only concern in Philippines(July). There are a lot of places to choose from within a small area ie. Visayas.
Public transport is cheap albeit a bit slow and crowded.
Southern Leyte is a must unfortunately getting there is time consuming.

Lembeh is muck heaven! !!

Anilao is comparable IMHO and much cheaper

Is there homestay/pension house/dorm accommodation in Anilao for PHP500/night?
I crossed it off my Philippines list last time as I was advised that affordable accommodation is awkward

Nic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom