Indonesia questions about tipping/gratuities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Japanese very seldom tip at home but when they travel, they are well known to be exceedingly generous.

In Indonesia LOBs will ask for a tip, and tips are appreciated. Anyone, in any industry, who gets free money will appreciate it.

Some LOBs don’t give guidance on tip amount because it is discretionary, but you may run into a LOB or two where the CD is more avaricious and claims it is customary to tip 10%. When this happens, you may have actually run into a modern day pirate. Piracy on the high seas has a long history.

I’d say tip whatever you want and remember that it is discretionary. If you run into a pirate, feel free to say no. No because you should not reward anyone who is out to rip you off.

Europeans complain about tipping because it makes them look cheap when they don't tip too

What an utter ********. I often perceive some people tip a lot because they are unsure of themselves and therefore just put a lot of money on the table even if the service was abysmal.

If you want a stupid repetition of your incredible prejudice: All Americans are like that!

Ok. For f*** sake.

Am I allowed to close a thread?

My God the internet is filled with a bunch of f***ing keyboard knuckleheads.

All I wanted to know was the tipping customs in indonesia. Several people stepped forward with their experiences (thank you!).

Almost instantly the parade of insults began on the virtues of if tipping is good or bad for society and whose fault it is that it happens...mostly based on national identity ot origin. That brought out the a competing voice about the national origin of the non tippers.

This isn't a fuc....errr.. .a f****ing sports bar.

It's a club of scuba divers who should be able to band together about one God damn thing in their life without finding a way to criticize each other or pick God damn teams.

I'm a big believer about no discussion of politics or religion on a dive boat because I would like one place in my life where I am not actively dividing the world into the people who think like me and the ones that don't.

Tip. Don't tip. Tip a lot. Tip less. It's your money and you can give it to who you want for what you want. If there are countries where people can buy blowjobs legally and morally then there is room to throw money at tipping no matter what the motivation. The crud I could give is relatively miniscule but can we just take a moment to consider that unless someone asks you your moral judgements on a practice, it's not necessary to inflict the world with your view

Put another way.

If I asked this group if it was common to pray before a meal in Indonesia and which prayer is spoken it would not be necessary to tell me which deity you think the world should worship and why you think the piety of others is a fault.

Just let me know if I'll insult my host if I forget to give thanks for the meal before breaking bread.

Perhaps I am overly generous. I also know that most DMs and dive guides are not paid well (frankly, I believe they are abused). Regardless, I can afford it.
Except in the US, where the "tipped employee" sub-minimum wage law is an anomaly, I do not see any rationale for the customer making up the difference between the employee's wages and what the employee's services are worth through tipping.

Also, whether I can afford it doesn't factor into the equation for me. If that were the case, then it seems to me it would be acceptable for wealthier people to tip more, and poorer people to tip less. Should a wealthy customer who takes a luxury liveaboard several times a year tip more than someone who saved up for years for what they consider their "trip of a lifetime"? Might the the trip-of-a-lifetime guest feel awkward if he knew a fellow guest was leaving a much larger tip?

Except in the US, where the "tipped employee" sub-minimum wage law is an anomaly, I do not see any rationale for the customer making up the difference between the employee's wages and what the employee's services are worth through tipping.
I don't disagree with you. For me it's about ethics and ensuring that someone who is providing me a service (particularly when diving) is recompensed in the manner I would recompense my own employees for similar services. You do you.
Also, whether I can afford it doesn't factor into the equation for me.
It ought to, but you do you.
If that were the case, then it seems to me it would be acceptable for wealthier people to tip more, and poorer people to tip less.
It is not only acceptable, it is how the world turns. YEWV.
Should a wealthy customer who takes a luxury liveaboard several times a year tip more than someone who saved up for years for what they consider their "trip of a lifetime"?
Yes.
Might the the trip-of-a-lifetime guest feel awkward if he knew a fellow guest was leaving a much larger tip?
That's their problem.

Ok. For f*** sake.

All I wanted to know was the tipping customs in indonesia. Several people stepped forward with their experiences (thank you!).

Almost instantly the parade of insults began on the virtues of if tipping is good or bad for society and whose fault it is that it happens...mostly based on national identity ot origin. That brought out the a competing voice about the national origin of the non tippers.

This isn't a fuc....errr.. .a f****ing sports bar.

It's a club of scuba divers who should be able to band together about one God damn thing in their life without finding a way to criticize each other or pick God damn teams.

I'm a big believer about no discussion of politics or religion on a dive boat because I would like one place in my life where I am not actively dividing the world into the people who think like me and the ones that don't.

Put another way.

If I asked this group if it was common to pray before a meal in Indonesia and which prayer is spoken it would not be necessary to tell me which deity you think the world should worship and why you think the piety of others is a fault.

Just let me know if I'll insult my host if I forget to give thanks for the meal before breaking bread.
Do you have some issues with impulse control?

Ok. For f*** sake.

You could have just googled 'tipping in indonesia' if you didn't want to see any discussion. It's normal that a thread goes somewhat OT. Your whiny post isn't any better than the other slightly OT post.

You could have just googled 'tipping in indonesia' if you didn't want to see any discussion. It's normal that a thread goes somewhat OT. Your whiny post isn't any better than the other slightly OT post.
Do you have some issues with impulse control?

My apologies to both of you.

Yes - at times I do have trouble with impulse control.

Indeed I could have googled it - for that matter I could have asked for a soliloquy about tipping from ChatGPT. I was hoping to have a conversation about what personal experiences in Indonesia are, and walking into a room of divers and saying - hey whats customary in Indonesia seemed a good way to go.

I certainly don't mind OT discussions. The part that bothers me, and it's really probably 3-4 people embedded in this thread...is (and it's not simply this thread, but happens on the internet in any forum that reaches a certain size with a certain diversity of folks with self importance and a lack consideration for others)...

A few posts in, someone simply feels like they have to tell everyone else that the premise of the question is faulted, the person that asked it is ignorant, or introducing harm to the world.

This naturally invites a defensive posture where someone has to reply (in fact, it was me...I replied to an initial comment about the crap of American tipping that we/I as an American spread to the world. )

A little later someone else needs to tell you their belief/judgment, which in turns tends to find a particular team/pack/party to blame for the worlds woes as it relates to the topic at hand. "europeans hate tipping because they are cheap" It will continue on from there little snipes back and forth from the moral authorities judging the practices of others.

It's disheartening. It's why I haven't been a regular forum visitor for years...I come and go, and mostly treat it as a read only resource. However, being excited about visiting some place new, some place that is most likely a once in a lifetime venture and someplace that I don't know anyone personally that has been to, I wanted to seek a few details. So I posted a question or two. It turned into a longer discussion, which indeed is mostly civil, but threaded within it is the us/them pack mentalities. No one knows how to simply be nice to strangers that they don't share a few things in common with anymore.

Pardon the morose or, if you @berndo prefer "whiny" drama. I need to go check on a bag check in timing thread I started that is soon to turn to "why do people from <insert a place here> need to travel with so many bags - that's the problem with the world" followed by "FU I need my CPAP machine".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom