Inexpensive but decent BC for female divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I wanted a Jacket style BC and actually purchased (then returned - another story...) an Oceanic Isla. I really liked it but kept thinking about the back inflate (read good and bad reviews on them, especially their concerns about going face down on the surface... blah blah). So when I had the opportunity, my new LDS let me use his wife's BC - the Sea Quest Libra and I really loved it. I never got that feeling, but then I was only in a pool.. I am not concerned at all and I really loved the way it felt underwater, less cumbersome. I will know just how good it is in a couple of weeks..
This board seems to have a lot of back plate and wings lovers... ?? I know nothing about them but what I have read on the board...

Pratesi:
OK-so what are your thoughts on back inflation on bc?

I love mine and wouldn't go back to my old jacket style.

Pratesi, BC choice is sooo personal, so it's hard to know what to recommend to people. I currently dive with a SeaQuest Diva, which is an excellent BC, but am now switching to a Zeagle Zena. I have a very athletic swimmer's body (ie very broad shoulders and wide back) and find it difficult to wear a typical jacket style BC. The Zena fits me as if it were made for me, but I can sure see how someone with a short torso might have trouble with it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive but excellent BC, I'd be willing to sell you my Diva for a very good price. :)

I just bought my Sea Quest Libra this weekend after doing my instruction with it. It fits me perfect - I am tall (5'11") but with a small/regular sized torso. I also tried the Zeagle Zena and loved the corset style top. A good thing about the Zena is that there are differnent parts to it so you can get a the perfect fit - say you are long torso but narrow in the bust/waist, etc etc so it seemed that would fit everyone. I was debating back and forth, but stayed with the Libra because I knew it fit well and had actually used it.

Kara, you cite the perfect reason for buying one BC over another......you've tried it and found one to be preferred for you. Unfortunately, I didn't really try the Diva before I bought it, instead just went to the dive shop and tried one on without comparing to other styles. That was a HUGE mistake on my part, and one I won't make again.

That's why it's hard to recommend buying one BC over another....we all have such different bodies that it's impossible to know what will work for someone else. I chose the Diva because I knew women who loved it and recommended it highly....heck, they still recommend it! :wink:

Actually, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that someone try the Diva (or the Zena), I just will refrain from recommending that anyone BUY anything anymore. Basically, there is no one perfect BC for everyone, it's up to the individual to find the perfect one for them.

Thanks for the offer. What is your asking price, You can pm me. I am going to look at it online.

I am going to make time to visit the local dive shop and try on the above recommended BC's. I know body structure can mean alot when it comes to comfort. If you have broad shoulders or large in the bust area, I would think you would need something with less constriction. Again-thanks for all of your input:)
Jay_SMART_Diver:
I know there is some issues with certain reviews from certain magazines, but Rodales did do a review of Women's BC's (April 2003), slightly dated but most of the models are still in production. Might give you some good info. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/best_bcs_for_women/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom