Inexpensive SLR camera for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't give up all hope of getting a DSLR set-up at a price you can afford, though not as cheap as you originally hoped. You definitely don't need to worry about buying used equipment if you buy from someone on Scubaboard or Wetpixel. I bought most of my stuff used and it is all in excellent condition. Some of it hadn't ever been in the water before I bought it as the seller had had it as back-up. You might consider a Nikon D70s (or, better still, D80 if you can afford it) with an Ikelite housing and an Ikelite DS51 (or even DS50) strobe to start with. You can always buy a second strobe later. Just make sure the strobe you buy is TTL compatible (depends on the serial number, see Ikelite's website) with the housing. Used Ikelite ports are a lot cheaper than other makers' ports and used lenses need not cost a fortune. You might even be able to pick up a complete package - camera, housing, lens, port, strobe and arm. It might not be a first-class lens but you will undoubtedly want more glass later anyway and you should be able to take some pretty nice shots with one of the kit lenses. Why not put a WANT-TO-BUY ad in the classified section of this forum and on wetpixel.com and see what turns up?
PS I wouldn't be afraid to buy on E-bay. Their buyer protection is excellent nowadays. I've both bought and sold lots of photographic equipment on E-bay in the past and never been ripped off.

Last edited:
I spent $5,000 on everything, that included two strobes (YS-250pro), ports (standard and dome), and arms (ultralights). How on God's planet then I manage to spend less? I got most of the item used at Backscatter and set a price where the guys would help me too. Since you compared your camera to a Lamborghini, my camera is like a Acura NSX. :eyebrow:

I don't like Sea & Sea, neither their strobes nor their choice of re-branded cameras. The YS strobes have a demonstrated reliability issue that I'm sick of dealing with. For the price, why settle for Sea & Sea strobes? And the quality of Sea & Sea camera sensors leave a lot to be desired. Too high of a noise-to-dollar ratio for my taste.

I've had services issues with Backscatter and don't use them anymore. "Lackadaisical" comes to mind. Besides, they don't even sell what I wanted.

I don't like Sea & Sea, neither their strobes nor their choice of re-branded cameras. The YS strobes have a demonstrated reliability issue that I'm sick of dealing with. For the price, why settle for Sea & Sea strobes? And the quality of Sea & Sea camera sensors leave a lot to be desired. Too high of a noise-to-dollar ratio for my taste.

I've had services issues with Backscatter and don't use them anymore. "Lackadaisical" comes to mind. Besides, they don't even sell what I wanted.

Harry, I've not heard this before -- will you share your experience?

Harry, I've not heard this before -- will you share your experience?

1. My YS strobes fired successfully with the fiber optic cables only 2 out of every 3 tries. (Both old and new generation fiberoptic cables.)

2. The YS strobe switches do not have definite detents, meaning that you can never be sure that the switch is where you want it to be. The slightest touch moves the switch out of the detent.

the Nikon D3100 is only $640 with a 18-55 zoom and it dose 1080p HD vid. I have one on the way. my old Olympus C-60Z is on its last leg taking it in to combat did not help it. but it was a good D-point and Shoot setup for $800 (it lasted 5 years).

But anyway I have the d3100 in the mail and will take some time to mess with it dry. I looks like only Ikelite makes a poly case for $1300 ish. so i think that will be the lowest $$$ to get set with a *NEW* nikon D-SLR. I am new to SLR's and would love any input you could give me on the type of port/lens to get/use starting. I am in the U.S. Army and don't have $ to burn.

most of my diving is in 30-60feet /31-40f / 10' vis or less but i do get out and play from time to time in 130'/ 70f+ / 50'+ vis

Not really a DSLR and still out-of your budget; the Oly E-PL1 and OEM housing will cost you less than USD 1000 incl. lens kit and standard port.
For this time, I don't think you will find any interchangeable (digital) camera system cost less than that.

Sure there's other mirroless camera, such as GF-1 or Nex-5; but the cost the available housing will shock you.

But, you still need arm, tray, strobe, FO cable - best bet total not less than USD 1500.

If you insist for DSLR - Oly still offer best initial cost / basic set-up - you can get E-520 complete set-up incl. strobe for approx. USD 2000.

UK-GERMANY CASIO QV 3500EX/ir

Dimensions:
Weight:
Max depth:
Price:
175x112x108mm
1300gr
80m
Unknown
For Casio:
- QV-3000EX
- QV-3500EX

--- Discontinued ---

thats all i could find. so ikelite did make one.

UK-GERMANY CASIO QV 3500EX/ir

Dimensions:
Weight:
Max depth:
Price:
175x112x108mm
1300gr
80m
Unknown
For Casio:
- QV-3000EX
- QV-3500EX

--- Discontinued ---

thats all i could find. so ikelite did make one.

wow none existent ! i would have used that camera if i had housing for it

Back
Top Bottom