Infinity Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would investigate that further before you go and then make arrangements as soon as you get there, also spread out your reservations amongst various dive ops.

Night Dives in that area are generally offered as a once-a-week boat dive (on a specific scheduled night) that you have to sign up for in advance. (Quite often on a Tuesday or Wednesday) They will not go and simply cancel if they do not have minimum numbers.

I am a firm believer in hiring the service of a DiveMaster for a Night Dive... and do a private shore dive or possibly hire a water taxi to serve as your Dive Boat. You'll see more and the entire experience will be better.

Sounds like good advice to me, lots of good options here.
Thanks I will look into this as soon as I get there.

---------- Post added January 14th, 2013 at 08:48 AM ----------

Another question I know should be directed at video forum, but im sure theres a few of you who have expertise in this area, Just bought the gopro hero 3 black edition camera, I wondered if my led flashlight will be ok to use for night dives with the camera as I dont have lighting for it. Damn cheap camera costs plenty after you buy your sd card and extra batter. Still need a head mount.

.... Just bought the gopro hero 3 black edition camera, I wondered if my led flashlight will be ok to use for night dives with the camera as I dont have lighting for it.

- Yes, post this in video forum

- Some LED flashlights have wider coverage and less "pinpoints" of light effect. It may look like a bunch of bright dots

- A basic LED flashlight's concentrated area is likely to confuse the auto exposure and cause washout

- Unless they are pointed in the same direction, they won't be :wink:

- The up-side? It is free to try it!

.... also im bringing an excalliber underwater metal detector just wondering about the best location to use this. havent used it yet and im hoping to find something of interest down there....

The only place to use this would be useful is on the beach or walking in the shallows. People dropping stuff.

The dive areas have been well looked over and you will not find any beeping "treasures" just under the Coral reef structure. You would get in deep trouble if you moved or broke Coral to find anything, and if you did find anything, the Government of Honduras would be your new Proctologist.

Instead of dragging that down, bring Crayolas and such for the local schools.

Thanks for the info. :)

Anyplace you dive will have been checked and double checked for treasure, You could not carry your detector without all kinds of people showing interest, IF you found anything good, even if new, the divemaster would likely know the person that lost it and require you to give it to them so they can return it.:chicken:
NOW, That is Diving, I cannot promise but some have told me that I have gold burried somewhere on my property and some locals have said they have even seen the Duppies looking after it. I am not interested in such things but for a small fee I would allow you to search to your hearts content, For a slightly larger fee I would let you keep what you found and for just a little more i would make sure to remind my watchman that he nor the dogs should not disturb you , Of course once sunset happens all deals are off

Last edited:
Thanks anyways, but im looking for stuff not burried by capt crunch LOL
Besides, Im new at this and its a hobby, if I find something then cool.

Thought of starting a new thread, but why let this one die?

In a nutshell: I'm considering a run down to Roatan ( from Toronto ) alone, to dive-dive-dive on the relatively cheap-cheap-cheap. I don't care about eating much - just good nutrition to fuel the diving machine. Don't care about housing much - spartan digs will do. Don't want to party. However, I do want: comfortable, fast dive boat, large volume cylinders w/ N2O2, co-divers of significant experience with a co-desire to stay long & venture far enough to see the epitome of Roatan's diving.

Would anyone care to opine on the where, with whom, & how much, of all of that?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards,
DSD

my cost through sunwing tours was 2700 not cheap is ai and 5 star. they have cheaper accomidations but i kinda like the pool and sun as well as clean. never been before but should be great diving there
i will give a review best as i can when i return.
let me know what u need to know about the resort and dives i will try to remember. lol
there all starting to look the same. mostly i stayed at the riu but never roataan

DeepSeaDan,

You might consider the Reef House. Solid operation, decent food. We had some Xmas special packages that they were honoring that were a tad less than $1000.

.... alone, to dive-dive-dive....relatively cheap-cheap-cheap.... good nutrition to fuel the diving.... spartan digs will do.... Don't party... do want: comfortable, fast dive boat, large volume cylinders w/ N2O2, co-divers of significant experience with a co-desire to stay long & venture far enough to see the epitome of Roatan's diving.

You will dive with whoever shows up to a dive operation, unless you charter the boat yourself with divers of "significant experience". They will have set rules that will limit you to X B.T. or X P.S.I. They will motor you to their standard dive sites.

You may, in one or two weeks, manage to see most of the West and NorthWest portions of Roatan by diving out of West End operations. This is simply not "the epitome of Roatan's diving". To see what is truly unique on Roatan (compared to the rest of the Craibbean), you'll have to dive off of the shallower South coast, where there are four viable dive ops: BFK, FI, CCV, and RHR. Search here for more info.

As cost conscious as you fancy yourself to be, you are very much-more focused on getting a lot of diving. Do not be penny wise and pound foolish. Start totaling up the costs for diving 4x a day at any day-dive operation that seems to be a bargain- all of a sudden you're at $110 to $120/day. Want a night dive? That's once a week plus a fee. Take a serious look at AI operations where that is part of the combined package.

....large volume cylinders w/ N2O2...

If by "large volume cylinders" you mean over the standard 80's, what exactly were you looking for?

And, I'll bite.... what were you needing N2O2 for? I had no idea what Nitrous Dioxide is used for- been a long time since I heard that reference. :rofl3: Methinks you're an "old" Instructor!

To other reading along, my rant: Some youngsters call that nitrox... but they usually use a capitol N. Well, that's going to bump up the costs for your diving. You can dive Roatan using EAN32 (air) 5x a day- if you dive it shallow (where the critters are) and if you dive it gently. EAN gas is a tool that used to be known as "geezer gas" or "devil gas". If there is no need for it on certain specific dive profiles and you can get past the internalized marketing hype, you can actually save some money. It does however, require some analysis and understanding past the lowest common denominator of what we are taught. IF you are really, and truly diving 4-5x a day, no matter how shallow- it couldn't hurt.

..You might consider...

Except for the comfortable, fast dive boat and the "large" cylinders", well....

Thought of starting a new thread, but why let this one die?

You ask a new questions based on different circumstances. That would be a great reason. :sblogo: uses electrons and bandwidth like a drunken sailor spends money.

But the overarching truth is- your question is a tad vague but has nevertheless been answered many times over the years.

It really depends upon what exact amt you want to spend after paying the airlines. You can sleep in a hammock for (what used to be) $5, you can find places to quickly obtain a plate of rice and beans 4x a day for pennies. 4x dives a day- You can buy a dive package of ten dives at a a time for $30/each (air). Maybe, what... $140-160/day?

Do the math.

Or AI, where there's clean sheets, AC (maybe it will be hot, maybe?), food put in front of you on schedule, unlimited (4-5x/day) diving and tanks... for $150-200/day?

Last edited:
What, you've never tried diving with Nitrous Dioxide?? Gad, y'all lead a sheltered life down on those islands! Okay R-Man, ya caught me being lazy, and yes, the teeth are elongating, but cut me some slack here, wontcha?? :D ( Just checked - n2o2 is a "covalent compound" called "Dinitrogen Dioxide", to be specific. Still doesn't sound very appetizing as a dive gas though! ).

Last year Aldora fitted me up with steel h.p. 120's w/ n2o2, er, EAN 32! Very nice. I love steel tanks, but I hear they're rare down your way, so I guess perhaps Al. 100's might be available?

Didn't mean to sound overly cost-conscious, just had no need of frills on the beach.

Aldora does enough business to run several boats, and I asked them to put me on one with experienced divers, and they did. In all my days diving with them, we had just one chap who struggled, & the D.M. handled him beautifully. Their operation met all my needs, so I hope to find similar service elsewhere.

In the future, I will make an earnest attempt to conserve electrons & bandwidth, though I was a bit of a drunken sailor so many moons ago...

Appreciate your thoroughness R-Man.

Regards,
DSD

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom