Inflator/octo combo + long-hose primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
- In short, using an Air 2 is fine, using a long hose is fine and using both together is fine, and I'd argue that using both together has some significant advantages for a recreational diver.
Ahhh, finally. That's the answer that I was looking and hoping for. It's a bit of a hybrid configuration that I think makes the octo/inflators a bit more appealing (to me, anyway).

John

savechief:
Ahhh, finally. That's the answer that I was looking and hoping for. It's a bit of a hybrid configuration that I think makes the octo/inflators a bit more appealing (to me, anyway).

John

So you made a post, waited until you got an answer that coincides with what you wanted to hear, and are now happy?

Ok.

PerroneFord:
So you made a post, waited until you got an answer that coincides with what you wanted to hear, and are now happy?
Actually, what really made me happy was that somebody actually addressed my original topic. And DA Aquamaster happened to reaffirm the opinion that I had when I made the post. If everybody had said that an octo/inflator + long hose was a bad idea, and that I should stay with an octo/inflator + short hose, then there is the distinct possibility that my opinion could have been changed. But it so happens that DA Aquamaster and a couple other people confirmed that they either thought the long hose was better than the short hose or that they personally use this configuration successfully. And yes, that confirmation made me happy as well.

I was not asking if people thought octo/inflators were good or not. I was not asking for people to begin a general short-hose vs. long-hose debate. I was merely asking for opinions, be it personal experience or otherwise, about using a long-hose primary with an octo/inflator, and whether or not it was a "better-than" configuration vs. an octo-inflator + short hose.

John

Using any standard combination of things is "fine". They have worked for years on tens of thousands of divers. Moving to a long hose makes it better. Moving away from an air2 makes things "better" for a number of reasons.

I think people, myself included, tend to take the view of optimal vs not optimal. This is wrong. Some people really don't care what is optimal. They only care if what they have, or are about to buy, will work.

I apologize.

PerroneFord:
I think people, myself included, tend to take the view of optimal vs not optimal. This is wrong. Some people really don't care what is optimal. They only care if what they have, or are about to buy, will work.

I apologize.
No apologies necessary. It just comes down to the fact that "optimal" is not universal. Everybody has their own needs, wants and priorities, and thus, different views of what is optimal.

John

savechief:
It just comes down to the fact that "optimal" is not universal.

BINGO!

And this is the crux of the discussions you see here. What is optimal for me inside a cave is not necessarily optimal for a diver at 30ft drifting over a reef. And vice versa.

I'm glad you got your answer... and it actually cleared up a lot of things for me as well.

I was actually trained on the hybrids in my OW class.... so for some of us the OOA with the hybrids comes pretty easy.... First time I saw the regular inflators... I was like wth is that old thing LOL.... I see the advantages to both.... honestly I like the fact you only have 1hose to worry about with the hybrids... but I don't like the positition you are in when you do a OOA drill.... I'm used to it... and practice it.. so it's easy.... but still ... a bit annoying.

I can see how you want to go to a long hose.... I think I'll be making this purchase as well... to make the position more comfortable for me during an OOA situation.

I didnt read every reply compleetly, so this may have been mentioned. It is dificult to dump air during the ascent when you are using a octo on the bc inflator. If you have other dump valves and are comfortable using them while surfacing the you are probably ok.

I use an atomic SS1 for my single tank, recreational, day to day diving because it's simple, effective and limits the amount of gear i have to dive with. In an OOA situation i would breathe from the SS1 and hand my primary to my buddy. However when doing more technical dives with dual tanks, i prefer the DIR setup with a 6' primary which would go to my buddy if he was OOA. Although I am a tech diver, i am not faithfull follower of all DIR guidelines because they were created by cave divers for cave divers, of which i am not. The longer primary makes sharing air easier in open water, and not to mention much safer in wrecks and other overhead environments. When doing simple single tank rec. dives with my tech buddies they prefer the DIR setup which I think is okay too, but perhaps a little overkill, at least for me. If your doing just recreational diving in non-overhead environments then an octo+inlator setup may be great for you. (As long as you have a good product like a SS1) But a traditional setup with an octo is a tried and true method as well. It's all about what kind of diving you plan on doing, and also what you prefer.

If you use the inflator octo, your primary *absolutely needs* a longer-than-normal hose.

40" is doable if you route the hose under your right arm.

5' or 7' is, IMO, preferable because it keeps the hose more out of the way and the extra couple of feet is very beneficial during air shares.

As for using the octo inflator instead of a bungeed backup.. sure, go for it, if it works for you. Don't ever, ever forget that that thing is a regulator and needs to be treated as well and serviced as regularly as a regulator. Treating it like a BC or inflator is a recipe for disaster.

And, whatever you do, practice practice practice with it. Do air shares all the time. The slickest system in the world is worthless if you can't find the thing in time and have to snatch your reg back from your desperate buddy or you can't breathe from it because there is some sand in it.

Back
Top Bottom