info on lunenburg/halifax area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

I just did the HMCS Sageunay on Sunday. I went with Sand & Sea Dive Shop (S&S) in Kentville. I am not sure if Torpedo rays (TR)sends out a guide/divemaster, but I know S&S does. Also, S&S does a shark cage dive as well. My wife and I have been on one TR charter and did not know if there was a DM/guide from the shop. For us this is not a problem, but I have friends that have went on other charters (not S&S or TR) through other dive shops that have had very uncomfortable experiences. Anyway, enough said about that.
Anyway, we went out on the only Dive Boat that, for the moment, does charters to the Sageunay. Islander VI with Capt Bill FLowers at the helm. We had 10 divers with full gear and equipment, Mike (Instr/Guide) from S&S, Capt Bill, his mate and there was plenty of room for everything. Capt Bill is a local fisherman/diver, knows the area extremely well, and is never short of a story or historical tidbit. He was actually involved in the operation to make the Sageunay diver friendly and to eventually sink the Sageunay.
The air temp (1:30 pm, 20 Jun 04) was 54F-59F and the water temp at depth was 39F. The vis was about 40ft. I touched bottom at 94 ft. The ship is leaning to starboard a bit more this year and is starting to grow over just a bit. The wheel house and the hangar are accessible and kind of neat. As you enter the wheelhouse down on your right there is a telephone /w the reciever mounted on the wall. Further penetration is not recommended, as Capt Bill pointed out, that you can get so far and then it turns into a maze of pipes, lines and wires.
We also had a visit from Sammy Seal, who eventually got a bit more brave as time went on by sneaking up behind several divers to check them out. I have not been on the seal island dive, but I have heard that its a lot of fun. My wife and I both will be going this summer.
If you would like further info just let me know. I am acutally waiting on the Pictures that Mike took of the dive. If you pm me I will arrange to email them to you.
Oh! Just a bit of advice, try to book and afternoon trip with Capt Bill. If you book a morning trip, he has a deadline to be back by, but if you book an afternnon its a bit more relaxed as he is not in any hurry to get back for anything.

Good Luck & Good Diving
Gerry

EricDive:
I am taking a group of Ventures (BoyScouts aged 14 - 17) down to Dartmouth and Lunenburg diving this August. We have been dealing with Torpedo Rays and they have been great to deal with. We have all of our dives planned and one of the days will be spent on a boat dive out of Lunenburg, we will do the Saguenay and a seal dive as well.

If anyone has any dive reports for these areas I would love to hear them, especially on the Saguenay and the seals.

Eric

Dove the Saguenay yesterday...was great...vis was alright, didn't see any seals there tho....is the seal dive you're talking about near the Saguenay area?? Love to see that soon.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I just wrote to Torpedo Rays and asked him if we were scheduled for morning or afternoon and if we were using Captain Bill. We are really looking forward to this trip and it now looks like the whole group may have there advanced cert before we go! In the meantime it is Dive, Dive, Dive!

Eric

scotto007:
Dove the Saguenay yesterday...was great...vis was alright, didn't see any seals there tho....is the seal dive you're talking about near the Saguenay area?? Love to see that soon.

Yep..... you probably steamed right past the seal colony on your way out to the Saguenay.

I think they call it Seal rock...... go figure. I did the dives with the shop in Lunenburg when it was still open, I can't recall the name of the boat we used, but it wasn't Bill Flower's.

Were you on the boat that Paulette put together..? My wife and I were going to head out on that charter, but something came up.

nalfein:
Yep..... you probably steamed right past the seal colony on your way out to the Saguenay.

I think they call it Seal rock...... go figure. I did the dives with the shop in Lunenburg when it was still open, I can't recall the name of the boat we used, but it wasn't Bill Flower's.

Were you on the boat that Paulette put together..? My wife and I were going to head out on that charter, but something came up.
I went on the morning group on Bill Flower's boat...group arranged through Torpedo Ray's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom