Ingersoll Rand compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eanxaddict

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks,
I'm looking at a used IR 223 that came from a fire department. Older cast iron unit with manual drains. It has about nine hundred hours on the unit right now. Appears to be well taken care of as far as the exterior is concerned. Anyone have any thoughts on the IR's?

Thanks

I have an IR 223 Type 30. I have been using it for ~8 years for continuous blending of Tmx & EANx. I choose it because:
The compressors can run all day & night if needed. (I was told that they were used on Canadian Coast Guard ships a number of years ago because of their durability).
The steel heads can handle the extra heat from blending better.
The cooling lines between stages are wound around the fan and do a heck of a good job cooling the gas.
It will pump up to 5,000 psi.
I can easily get parts. Their factory in N. Carolina still makes & supplies parts for these units. ( I have had to get the 3rd stage valve parts and the 3rd stage cooling line.)
It did not cost as much as a RIX.

You WILL need a moisture separator and filtration.
You should use a high flash point oil.
900 hours is like new (in my opinion)
I have added new interstage pressure relief valves and a final pressure cutoff switch.

Depending on the price I would jump on it.

The price is 1900.00. I have some filtration but not a moisture separator other than the cylinder drains. I will be adding a high pressure switch and using a synthetic oil. I do intend to continuos blend and have most of the stuff for that other than a O2 solenoid shutoff. What do you think about the price? It's been well taken care of.

Thanks

IR's are workhorses. AKR on Roatan has 2 and they do super duty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom