Innovative Dive Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They aren't $200, not that it matters. Waterproof isn't a need in a carry on bag. Toughness is the need. Some people fly everyday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you are trying to carry all of your gear in a carry-on for traveling you need to make your gear selection based on on that criteria. For a carry-on the max size is 9 x 14 x 22, for a personal item it must be 36 linear inches and (theoretically) fit under the seat in front of you. This would be something on the order of a large regulator bag.

You may want to use a travel STA to alleviate needing to rethread the cam straps. I wish there was a decent AL version. To attach the plate I would use a flap at the bottom that comes up to the top and can either be buttoned or zipped into place to secure the plate. I am wondering if there is a way of modding an ALICE pack to work with a backplate.

They aren't $200, not that it matters. Waterproof isn't a need in a carry on bag. Toughness is the need. Some people fly everyday.
So, $140 is the cheapest I've seen a Pelican 1510 online. Not $200, but certainly far heavier than I'd ever want to carry on, personally. It is a good idea for ruggedness, but not as user-friendly in the long term, in my opinion. Especially when my backpacks cost less, are lighter, and have literally been around the world several times over the last 20 years and are still going strong without any tears, rips, or broken zippers.

You may want to use a travel STA to alleviate needing to rethread the cam straps. I wish there was a decent AL version. To attach the plate I would use a flap at the bottom that comes up to the top and can either be buttoned or zipped into place to secure the plate. I am wondering if there is a way of modding an ALICE pack to work with a backplate.
It would be trivially easy to modify an ALICE pack with either grommets to fit a plate or a zippered flap. My version of this concept, seen here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/making-your-own-gear/443312-innovative-dive-bag-redux.html just traveled with me to CA and carried all of my gear (including fins dry suit, camera, and light head) and was capable of being a carry on, if I wanted. I chose to check the bag anyway, but that was more about not lugging the extra weight through multiple airports when I didn't really need to do so.

It would be trivially easy to modify an ALICE pack with either grommets to fit a plate or a zippered flap.

I was hoping it would be even easier. From my understanding the ALICE pack (and some Molle packs) use an external frame. I was hopping that a backplate can be substituted for the frame. I need to see an ALICE pack and frame in person to check it out. Some guy on Youtube claims you can purchase these packs for $10 so the price is surely right.

I was hoping it would be even easier. From my understanding the ALICE pack (and some Molle packs) use an external frame. I was hopping that a backplate can be substituted for the frame. I need to see an ALICE pack and frame in person to check it out. Some guy on Youtube claims you can purchase these packs for $10 so the price is surely right.
My ALICE pack wouldn't have accommodated a plate without mods. It assumed a tube frame,but you might be able to get a plate to fit in the top "pocket" portion that normally slips over the tube frame. It's been quite a few years since I carried one regularly. Shouldn't be hard to find out and the price is definitely right at $10, like you said. Almost makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom