Inon 45 degree viewfinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using the Inon 45 degree viewfinder with my Sea and Sea housing for the D300.
I've made 10 dives with this rig and am fairly comfortable with it. I have no problems with the viewfinder for wide angle (12-24mm) , but I find that pointing it using a 60mm macro is kind of challenging, eventually I get it where I want it, but often I miss the shot because I am not initially pointed at the subject and have to hunt around to get it in the field of view. It seems considerably more difficult than pointing a straight through. I like the 45 degree because you can get the camera lower than your body but the pointing is sometimes frustrating. Any advice or comments ?

Most of the time I shoot WA I shoot with a 10.5mm and almost 85% of the shots I am not looking through the viewfinder, just stretching my arm placing the housing in the right position, and trying my best not to be in the shot!!!

This way I feel I can reach a better point of view and I am more aware of my surroundings making sure I don't brake or touch anything.

I have considered buying it, it is a great product, but most of these shots not even the 45deg viewfinder would help me... and when I do macro (and I love macro/supermacro) it is not there to oppose me.

I have used one for a while.... if you find the 60 hard, try it with a 105VR and diopter! I am fairly competent now with it.... I find if you frame your shots a little further then move in it helps a lot.... no problems at all for WA too... its the hunting with the 105 that I hate... I once took 15 mins to frame a pygmy seahorse... I just could not find it even through the viewfinder though I could see it clearly with my own eyes....

Thanks all.... I figure the 105 is going to be a lot more challenging. Mariozi, I've used your technique a couple of times with a 12mm--works pretty well !

I have an Inon 45 degree on my Subal rig and shoot with both a Nikon 60 and 105 on my D300 and D70s. I also have the Subal magnified eye piece, but like the Inon 45 for the kind of shooting I do (much of it macro).

My experience is that the 45 is harder to use with wide angle shots than it is with macro subjects. There is a tendence to initially aim too high, so try dropping tilting the camera down slightly. Berkeley White of Backscatter had some great advice when I purchased the Inon 45 degree: follow the subject and aim with your wrists. He used this technique on fast moving sail fish.

I really like the Subal magnified viewer, but the nice thing about Inon is that you can swap view finders without having to use a spanning wrench: it is a snap to pop in a straight view finder if you are shooting fast moving pelagics.

The Inon 45 is also a great eye pice for over/under shots. The biggest down sides I have noticed are: 1.) I had the bifocal area raised in my dive mask a year or so ago, and its current location cuts across the Inon eye piece. I have had to adjust my viewing. 2.) The bottom of the Inon 45 covers the upper part of the camera view screen. Minor issue.

Have fun shooting!

Dan

I'm using the Inon 45 degree viewfinder with my Sea and Sea housing for the D300.
I've made 10 dives with this rig and am fairly comfortable with it. I have no problems with the viewfinder for wide angle (12-24mm) , but I find that pointing it using a 60mm macro is kind of challenging, eventually I get it where I want it, but often I miss the shot because I am not initially pointed at the subject and have to hunt around to get it in the field of view. It seems considerably more difficult than pointing a straight through. I like the 45 degree because you can get the camera lower than your body but the pointing is sometimes frustrating. Any advice or comments ?

To a great degree it's probably just a matter of getting used to using it. I have always been using a straight on viewfinder and I had an opportunity to try the INON 45 deg finder last year and I really did not like it at all. Probably because it really took some getting used to, and as others have mentioned about using it with macro, spotting your subject I found quite difficult.

Back
Top Bottom