Inon Z240 battery compartment flooded - What Do I Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys, I'm in bali on a dive trip.

I have flooded my Z240 battery area and the battereries have sat in the compartment for about 6 hours. I have clened it up as best I could and washed it out wth fresh water.

What is the best way to deal with this?

If you are curious how it happened. I cleaned and greased it before I came on this trip to Bali. Did 9 dives and when tightening the screw top I think the top caught the soft o ring and pinched it allowing a small amount of water in. It worked during the whole dive. The o ring is cut by the screw top and useless. Have to finish the trip with just one strobe.

On reflection I think I should have cleaned and greased it during the trip.

Buy a new camera & batteries. I had a flood in fresh water and despite all my gyrations (I did everything) the camera never was reliable again. I lost so many great pictures/videos. Got a new camera and made the mistake of using the same rechargable batteries. Same story - missed/lost memories.

Now I have a new camera and new batteries and don't miss a minute. The time I get to spend underwater is so small compared to the time I have to spend above - I am not willing to waste chances of recording what I see UW.

First, rinse it out with copious amounts of fresh water then add some vinegar and let it sit for a minute or two. Then rinse again and try to clean the contacts with a q-tip or similar then rinse with some alcohol. If you are lucky it will still fire, if so then no worries. I have seen at least 10 floods like that and 7 of them were fixable.
Good luck
Bill
P.S. I understand that the Z240 is not a camera :blinking:

Excellent Bill - I will give it a go.

My Z240 was of the minor party. Put batteries in it and it worked, got excited then BOOOOOM! a Flash and that was that. It's in the bin.

Great flash but if Bill has seen many of these then maybe Inon need to look at the battery compartment. My flash body had water in it when I looked, so it was stuffed from the first drink.

Think I will stick with Sea n Sea.

Sorry to hear that,water in the battery compartment doesn't always get to the main body. I have seen the same with S&S but the Inon cap system is prone to crimping the o-ring.
Bill

Sorry to hear that,water in the battery compartment doesn't always get to the main body. I have seen the same with S&S but the Inon cap system is prone to crimping the o-ring.
Bill

Yes Bill I was hoping I would be in the 70% that survive. When I first loaded batteries again it came up but would not switch off. The next time it came up and switched off and I was sure I was going to join the 70%. Next time a slight flash and a pop - took the dispersal plate off the front and there were drops of water inside the glass.

It should not be too hard for INon to water proof the battery compartment but I guess there is little enthusiasm for that kind of work.

Thanks for all your help Bill.

Curiosity question: Are Inon strobe battery compartments sealed from the rest of the strobe? It is implied that they are not from this episode. Am i interpreting this incorrectly?

The battery compartment on S&S strobes (well all I have owned) are sealed away from the strobe internals. Flooded batteries does not mean flooded strobe. I have bought several el-cheapo used S&S strobes whose battery compartment was clearly flooded, but the strobe operation was unaffected.

Just trying to learn more...

Yup! Inon's battery compartment CAN flood the flash - as I found out... The flash front plate had water drops inside it. The more I study this issue the more I realise that the Inon is a fantastic flash but many are being flooded as the battery cap pinches the O'ring. Needs a mechanical rework and why the battery compartment cannot be flood proof defies logic, when water proofing is so common these days.

The is the first NON SnS flash I have ever bought and it will be the last.

LOVED IT till I flooded it!

Bloody idiot! Should have waited for the YS-D1...

Yup! Inon's battery compartment CAN flood the flash - as I found out... The flash front plate had water drops inside it. The more I study this issue the more I realise that the Inon is a fantastic flash but many are being flooded as the battery cap pinches the O'ring. Needs a mechanical rework and why the battery compartment cannot be flood proof defies logic, when water proofing is so common these days.

The is the first NON SnS flash I have ever bought and it will be the last.

LOVED IT till I flooded it!

Bloody idiot! Should have waited for the YS-D1...
Thanks for the info. I was unaware. I have only owned S&S strobes (& Amphibico video lights) so I just assumed all were sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom