Inon Z240 battery compartment flooded - What Do I Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, rinse it out with copious amounts of fresh water then add some vinegar and let it sit for a minute or two. Then rinse again and try to clean the contacts with a q-tip or similar then rinse with some alcohol. If you are lucky it will still fire, if so then no worries. I have seen at least 10 floods like that and 7 of them were fixable.
Good luck
Bill
P.S. I understand that the Z240 is not a camera :blinking:

Another trick I have learned with flooded electronics is to stick them in a bag of dry rice enough to cover the item completely and leave it in there for at least 1 day to help absorb moisture. I have had fairly good luck with this on quite a few occasions. I would also recommend trying to contact Inon and check into a possible service/rebuild.

I have a set of the S-2000 and D-2000 with the same battery compartments and worry about the same issue. I always dunk them in a fresh water bin when available while turned off so if I see any excess bubbles I can catch it right away with the hope of not ruining anything. This isn't guaranteed all time of course as the pressure on the dive may have another effect.

I also flooded my Ikelite 161 battery compartment in Bali a few years ago because I did not perform a dunk test at the shop before heading to the beach.

Has anyone every used the double o-ring trick? There is room to put a o-ring inside the bottom of the battery cap to have 2 o-rings. I was wondering if this is a good or bad idea?

While I agree that one has to be careful of the battery compartment O ring, I would point out on the positive side that the somewhat clear cap and yellow o ring at least makes it fairly easy to check the position and "seal" of the O ring if you look. I think one of the "tricks" to the Inon strobes is screwing the cap on rather slowly while keeping an eye on the O ring. That said, I agree the battery compartment should be sealed from the electronics. I thought it was, actually. If you have damaged the strobe don't be too quick to throw it out. My understanding is that Inon will give a substantial discount on a new strobe if you send one in for repair and it cannot be fixed.

I do use the double O ring and it appears to work fine fine, but so far have not had to rely on it to prevent a flood.

I use an Olympus camera and have seen instances and heard many stories of Sea n Sea strobes not playing nice with Olympus cameras and the ys-d1 seemed to have other problems as well, so I have never considered one and cannot compare. Maybe they have the bugs worked out now, but at least as recently as July of 2014 I saw a lot of people having battery problems and problems with proper flash sync with the S&S. No product is perfect.

While I agree that one has to be careful of the battery compartment O ring, I would point out on the positive side that the somewhat clear cap and yellow o ring at least makes it fairly easy to check the position and "seal" of the O ring if you look. I think one of the "tricks" to the Inon strobes is screwing the cap on rather slowly while keeping an eye on the O ring. That said, I agree the battery compartment should be sealed from the electronics. I thought it was, actually. If you have damaged the strobe don't be too quick to throw it out. My understanding is that Inon will give a substantial discount on a new strobe if you send one in for repair and it cannot be fixed.

I do use the double O ring and it appears to work fine fine, but so far have not had to rely on it to prevent a flood.

I use an Olympus camera and have seen instances and heard many stories of Sea n Sea strobes not playing nice with Olympus cameras and the ys-d1 seemed to have other problems as well, so I have never considered one and cannot compare. Maybe they have the bugs worked out now, but at least as recently as July of 2014 I saw a lot of people having battery problems and problems with proper flash sync with the S&S. No product is perfect.

BUGGER! I took it to the tip last Thursday! Another not smart move to add to the original, not smart move.. Think I will ritually suicide on my knees in front of my dive gear and camera. Do you think that will make me feel better?

BUGGER! I took it to the tip last Thursday! Another not smart move to add to the original, not smart move.. Think I will ritually suicide on my knees in front of my dive gear and camera. Do you think that will make me feel better?
Nope - you will only reach that tranquil state of sublime bliss once you have posted the rest of your photo gear off to me.

P.S. never throw old dive gear out. Every now and then some one pops up asking for a carcass of some old piece of gear. Lots of them are very happy to get anything for the price of postage. At least that is what i keep telling my divebuddy any time she thinks i should be cleaning out my "stuff".

Back
Top Bottom