Insights from Rescue for BP/W users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostdiver1957:
You have no reason or business to be wearing BP/W BC's. Get yourself some recrreational dive gear and stop acting like you're some kind of a tech diver. You apparently haven't even passed Rescue class yet... Geesh... If you wore that crap in a class I was teaching I'd cut it for you... then you'd have reason to buy a real BC.

ghostdiver1957:
First of all, I doubt you've dove more than me... second I didn't say it was the only BCD I've used, I said it was what I owned. I've tried them all having worked in shops and tried set ups the shops have sold... more ignorant assumptions on your part. I am just smart enough not to spend my own money on them... I use them for free. Who's ignorant here?

I love how you always seem to come in a thread with the most inflammatory comments (in this case your 1st post called the original poster a "tech wannabe" and saying how you would cut it off yourself etc) and then right away get on the defensive and start accusing people of attacking you when they start poking holes in whatever weak arguments you seem to come up with.
I can't believe that you don't realize that you are coming across as a huge close minded jerk after supposedly being in this business and dealing with customers for as long as you say you have. Maybe your tough guy act frightens people into doing business with you?
If you wanted to add something constructive to the discussion there were much better ways to go about it then trying to bait people into getting into a huge argument with you that detracts from the original discussion but I guess some people just like attention.

ghostdiver1957:
... Last Post Here.

Thank goodness. Now moving on...

Bruciebabe:
Nobody has mentioned the GUE in water technique of using a purged regulator for rescue breaths. You use 2 fingers to hold the reg firm in their lips. This technique has many advantages, one of which is that you will probably be able to use enriched air or even oxygen depending on what is in your sidemounts.

I suspect that using this method as a resuscitative adjunct is fraught with danger and I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I don't see how GUE gets away with teaching it.

Really, why? I thought it sounded fairly practical. Of course sealing the airway.....but I am just not convinced that rescue breathing can be done well by a layman on an ocean tow. explain your take.

Originally Posted by Bruciebabe
Nobody has mentioned the GUE in water technique of using a purged regulator for rescue breaths. You use 2 fingers to hold the reg firm in their lips. This technique has many advantages, one of which is that you will probably be able to use enriched air or even oxygen depending on what is in your sidemounts.

Without sealing off the exhaust ports the air will just exit.
Sealing off the exhaust ports would inflate the victim and very possibly cause an embolism.
Am I missing something?

rmannix:
Originally Posted by Bruciebabe

Without sealing off the exhaust ports the air will just exit.
Sealing off the exhaust ports would inflate the victim and very possibly cause an embolism.
Am I missing something?

yes, someone did and got a bit shut down. The more I think about it, the more curious I am.

OH, it was YOU. sorry. I am going out on a limb and predicting that may catch on. Rescucitation is constantly evolving.

I would think that the positive pressure achieved by a purged regulator would be no higher than the resistance of the exhaust valve -- say maybe 5 cm H20, similar to low PEEP. A good assist for someone weakly breathing, but probably not enough to achieve any meaningful ventilation of somebody who is not only not breathing, but whose chest is being compressed by being underwater. However, I also remain quite sceptical of the value of attempting rescue breathing while trying to tow an unresponsive diver to a place of safety. I still think, if you don't start breathing after one or two rescue breaths, and you are very far from a dry, solid surface, you are basically hosed.

TSandM,

Are you diving dry in your rescue course? I am surprised no one jumped all over that, since most people dive wet and, therefore, drysuits must be "tech", or non-standard, and put one in a position to not be rescued. :tongue in cheek:

BTW-I just bought my first drysuit. I cannot wait to dive in it.

catherine96821:
yes, someone did and got a bit shut down. The more I think about it, the more curious I am.

OH, it was YOU. sorry. I am going out on a limb and predicting that may catch on. Rescucitation is constantly evolving.

Oh, wow, I didn't understand what he was talking about until you replied Catherine. Hmm, that is a very interesting (purge rescucitation) technique to perform while towing. I could see how that could really help if one could get the gas to in to the victim. I'm gonna have to check into that.

Thanks,

Richard

My Upcoming Dive Trips
01.28.06 - Valhalla ICBM Missle Silo (Cold war history in your logbook)
02.03.06 - Flower Gardens [Hammerhead Migration]
02.17.06 - Florida Dive Fest (Marvel's side yard, USS Spiegel Grove, USCG Duane, Bibb, Eagle & more)
02.25.06 - Rescue Class Open Water
03.10.06 - Puget Sound (Ski & Dive trip) {Tentative}
05.27.06 - NC Wreck Diving (U-352, Papoose, and Caribsea)
06.23.06 - NC Wreck Diving (City of Houston, Normannia, & John D Gill)
07.04.06 - Bonne Terre Mine (a miner's delight) {tentative}
08.19.06 - Gulf of Mexico
10.13.06 - Catalina Island & Jazz Fest (...the California kelp)

DivingCRNA:
TSandM,

Are you diving dry in your rescue course? I am surprised no one jumped all over that, since most people dive wet and, therefore, drysuits must be "tech", or non-standard, and put one in a position to not be rescued. :tongue in cheek:

BTW-I just bought my first drysuit. I cannot wait to dive in it.

Although I own/dive a dry suit, our rescue class is being conducted now while the waters are, hehe, chilly. No one else in the class owns or dives dry. The dive shop is providing instruction on dry suit in preparation for the cool open water day. Of course, the shop I'm taking the class from is more tech oriented.

Richard

woowooo... post #150!

The ongoing portion of this thread that really astounds me:

"Cutting thru the straps with a dive knife"

Laughed so hard I almost puked. I have never seen a sharp dive knife more than a week old that wasn't owned by a Government and operated by a muscle bound kid dressed in Olive Drab...

Other than that- never seen one that was sharp enough that it could open an envelope.

Can't happen. Commercialy available shears included. (Non Pro-EMT)

If you show up to an IE in a backplate and wings, your paired buddy who must demonstrate his rescue skills is permitted to let you drown and he will still get a passing score. They may dredge you up and use you again as a victim since you did so well the first time. If you have crabs on you this could go on for weeks.

Just a little known IDC/IE Fact.

Adapt, improvise, overcome. Know the gear of your buddy.

I got my BPW gear, too. Would I wear it to a class or in front of students? Not likely.

But the mask does go on my forehead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom