Lessons Inspection Stickers and Jupiter Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest going back to your local instructor who is certified as a gas blender, visual tank inspector, and O2 service tech [with] certification number on the VIS stickers and ask if they would put a proper agency based inspection sticker on your cylinder. While doing that you can relate your original story.

That said, IMHO any and all generic stickers should be refused by all dive shops. I would explain why then offer to do an inspection for a greatly reduced cost along with the fill.

I agree with the earlier statement about JDC - 'their compressor, their rules'. That says more about JDC than it does about your instructior / inspector.

Having said that, because the liability in the event of a problem while filling is THEIRS, if they are not faniliar with who inspected the cylinder, under what said of guidelines (e.g. PCI/PSI, or or whatever), they have a right to be concerned (not necessarily a good 'reason', but at least a right)

Frankly, just because a sticker has a dive store name doesn't necessarily offer any prooof of competence of inspection, or credentialing of the inspector. (I think Jim Wyatt makes a good poi9nt in that regard.) That is not a criticism of any shop, just a statement of reality. For example, yes, my business partner and I are both current with regard to our PSI VIP inspector credential, but our sticker simply has our shop name on it, and we could be scammers.

I'm not sure how any dive shop can trust a sticker in any case - a PSI sticker can easily be ordered (real from PSI or fake from any image printer) online. Having said that, mine have never been rejected - They are generic but look like a dive shop labeled sticker (I do have an active PSI VCI number). My stickers have my number printed one them as well as a QR code to lookup the actual inspection notes if any LDS cares or questions. But once the sticker is put on (even after a valid fill) there is no way an LDS can really know if the tank is in good standing or not. So the "their compressor, their rules" is about as accurate as you can get. I have called ahead for many dive shops when traveling to ensure they would not have issues with my old steel tanks and vip stickers - so far no one has had any issues.

PS
Those Amazon stickers are about 20x the price of the "real" stickers from PSI. Why would anyone who is actually a PSI inspector buy them from Amazon?
I'm a PSI inspector, but I refuse to play their "renewal" game so I can't buy their stickers. I use other ones (not those shown)

I'm a PSI inspector, but I refuse to play their "renewal" game so I can't buy their stickers. I use other ones (not those shown)
??? How can you be a PSI inspector and not be renewed? Isn't that fraud?

??? How can you be a PSI inspector and not be renewed? Isn't that fraud?
YES I AM FRAUD!!! My PSI cert expired decades ago. Funny thing though, other agencies still think I know what I'm doing :)

Yeah those renewals are clownshoes. Outside of a hydro VIPs are an industry thing, so any renewal is a made up term length. Do tanks have major changes every three years?

Yeah those renewals are clownshoes. Outside of a hydro VIPs are an industry thing, so any renewal is a made up term length. Do tanks have major changes every three years?
I've had the same tanks for a very long time, most are even in hydro!

I had them printed for me... They were cheap enough.

I used to use the ones from the shop when I did my own inspections. One quarry refused to fill cylinders without a shop name on them. I know of a couple of instructors that just had stickers printed with a shop name and address that was their house and a name they came up with that sounded like a shop. Those were just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom