Instructor BCD? What not to buy?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

side question due to some of the responses in the thread about BP/W -- i was under the impression that the Hollis HD100 was considered a back-inflate bcd and not a true BP/W

but otherwise i agree it depends on what the shop requires -- and i'd use one out of the rental fleet if possible.

i know one of the instructors uses a shop bc cause he's told to and one of the others prefers to use his BP/W. i don't think it matters personally what you use (as long as the shop doesn't mind)-- as long as you demonstrate the skills properly and the student understands -- i wouldn't use a long hose & necklace for class though... at least keep that the same. A BC & BP/W at least both have the inflator hose & pull dumps to use & demonstrate.

I don't think the gear necessarily needs to be identical to the students' model but it should be similar.

- It should have quick releases and adjustments in pretty much the same locations as the student's bcd
- the same stowing possibilities for the octopus (or whatever your flavor is),
- It should have an inflator (and not one of those horrible I3 gizmos) if the students have an inflator (converse is also true)
- you should be able to demonstrate skills like the equipment R&R in exactly the same steps that the students will have to follow.
- integrated weights if you're teaching to use integrated weights. This is relevant for ditching weights and don/doff.

If the bladder is in a wing or not is pretty much irrelevant as long as it's similar in the ways that matter.

R..

Seems reasonable to use the rental fleet as mentioned. That way you're not putting wear on your own gear and you have the same BCD as the student. God forbid something happens to you, possibly the students might be more familiar with your BCD. I wouldn't hold my breath but if you explain it's features well and what they are good for a GOOD student should be able to help you in an emergency.

I agree with Diver0001 (naturally) that there is a benefit of doing the CW sessions in gear that is SIMILAR to the student's gear -- but not necessarily identical. In fact, at least in my experience, it can be impossible to have identical gear since students may be using different gear themselves (for example, my shop has different BCs for kids than for adults and some students use their own gear).

I am also a fan of demonstrating different styles of AAS (primary donate vs. secondary donate) since many rigs are sold with Air2s and some use a necklace in addition to a "standard" octo.

I teach pool in either my Zeagle Express Tech or BPW with hog harness. I have never had a student get confused by the lack of quick releases and pull adjustment straps. I just make sure they get a good briefing of the gear on the surface. The shop whose BC's my students rent does not use integrated inflators. I discuss them in the gear lecture and show them pictures of them but also strongly recommend they not choose them. IF someone really wants to buy one I'll train them in it and also show them the limitations of it. I do not permit them in my Advanced Level classes without the student adding a standard octo to their rig. And they must show me they can do all the skills I require with it.

I am an independent instructor and I also sell a line of gear. That said I don't care what my assistants dive as long as they can do the skills. If I want them in the gear I sell I feel that I should provide it for them at no charge to them if they prefer something else. Making a Pro buy gear just to be a billboard is ignorant if they already have perfectly useable gear.

I work very hard at keeping my instructing separate from gear sales.

our shop does not have homogeneous gear so it would not matter what I put on they would not match me. sometimes I use BP/W sometimes a standard jacket. either way it makes no difference on demonstrating skills.

I tend to point out the differences and similarities in the gear so that when they get into the real world of rental gear and hand me downs that they understand what is important and what is not, (important to find the dump valves, not important what label is on it).

Next year I'll do their checkouts in Sidemount.:D After all checkout dives are not for training. They are to evaluate their training in the classroom and pool and I don't have to demo anything.

and because everyone you will ever meet will be equipped exactly as you are..... :rofl3:

I think the only skill that would be more difficult to teach in a BP/W would be the one where you orient vertically and kick up all the silt on the bottom. If the shop lets you, I'd use the gear you're good in.

This gets them thinking about how your gear is set up and why, which are good discussion points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom