Instructor Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My Insurance bumped from $460 to $545 this year (NASE). How did others do?

Due to 9/11 (at least that is what the insurance companies are saying) insurance rates, across the board, have gone up considerably. I know my instructor insurance will be over $700 this year.

I had heard rumors that there are cheaper insurance companies out there. Any of you know of them??? I need any kind of break I can get.

Thanks,

Amy

I recently heard that PADI people will be offered several options on their insurance. I think that came from some PADI email that I recently received and promptly deleted.

I have no idea what they will be. However, my Course Director told me that some of the rates would go down.

We have to pay again in September, it is looking somwhere up near $800 for 12 months plus membership is due in December. :upset:

the year before when it was $400, I was pleasantly surprised when mine went down to about $160 this year - more in line with Europe.

And that is PADI insurance....

well the insurance rates in the us are complete bull cookies because the insurance companies have policies to cover major incidents.

IE in the dallas area last month there was a major hail storm that has cost the insurance companies alot of money(area average has been $5000 a car , mine was over 9 (every panel has to be replaced and repainted, i basically get to choose a new paint job for mine), but it wont effect my rates or the insurance companies because they have a policy that covers there losses from the storm.

so i think that the 9/11 excuse for raising rates i completely ludicrious and just another way for the insurance company to bend the consumer over the barrel

the only good side about professional insurance is that i will be able to write it off in my taxes, and thats a good relief for a college student having to pay out over a months pay so i dont get sued( well then again if someone sued me they wont get anything because my net worth is about 0, but still i will maintain a professional decorum because i dont want anybody coming after me )

I'm supposed to renew my insurance later this week.

If the rates have increased, then I'm not going to renew it and will quit teaching. :upset:

I beleive that I paid around $400.00 - $430.00 last year. I have to teach a lot of people to make that cost back. An increase will just make this harder and teaching will no longer be worth the effort/expense.

You can't make any money teaching SCUBA as it is; insurance increases are the last thing we need.

do you teach independently or through a shop?

I teach through a local shop on occasion...basically whenever they can afford to pay me. (Business is not so hot there so, very rarely do I teach for them)

I also teach at the University here part time. The classes do not meet very often so, the pay is not very good at all.

If the rates go up, (Or maybe even stay the same) then it is not worth the effort anymore.

I enjoy teaching but, breaking even or going into the red is not acceptable anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom