Instructor specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A SDI instructor needs to have speciality instructor courses to teach each and every speciality but I cannot find any informationabout the courses.

Are they online or just how does one go about becoming certified to teach specialities?

A SDI instructor needs to have speciality instructor courses to teach each and every speciality but I cannot find any informationabout the courses.

Are they online or just how does one go about becoming certified to teach specialities?
Your instructor trainer should have told you...

Basically you either need to take the specialty with an Instructor Trainer, or show that you have sufficient dives in that speciality to teach it. In either case you have to lodge an SDI Specialty Instructor Upgrade Form with your local SDI office. Some specialities have additional requirements.

Full details in Section 3 of the SDI Standards and Procedures.

If you're ever stuck on how to do something, I highly recommend the chat feature on the website - they'll get you the answers you need every time.

Unfortunately, they only have chat 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern time, Monday through Friday, and I think that is about 12 hours difference for the Philippines - not nearly as convenient for you as it is for me.

Your instructor trainer should have told you...

Basically you either need to take the specialty with an Instructor Trainer, or show that you have sufficient dives in that speciality to teach it. In either case you have to lodge an SDI Specialty Instructor Upgrade Form with your local SDI office. Some specialities have additional requirements.

Full details in Section 3 of the SDI Standards and Procedures.
I have not taken the instructor course. Finding out this information is part of my due diligence before committing to something like this.

All part 3 says on this is fill in a form or take the course. No details on course requirements or what is considered acceptable prior experence, which is my question. With only a diver profile on the SDI/TDI site, I cannot get access to the instructor forms.

I have not taken the instructor course. Finding out this information is part of my due diligence before committing to something like this.

All part 3 says on this is fill in a form or take the course. No details on course requirements or what is considered acceptable prior experence, which is my question. With only a diver profile on the SDI/TDI site, I cannot get access to the instructor forms.

Are you an instructor with another agency now? If so, your current certifications will carry over (for example, PADI Deep Instructor becomes SDI Deep Instructor).

Solo instructor requires you to take the eLearning, unless you are something like a PADI Self-Reliant instructor.

If you are a newly minted SDI instructor (i.e. you are not crossing over from another agency), you can meet with an instructor trainer who can train you on how to deliver the courses that you want to teach.

The alternative is that you can self-certify that you have the requisite experience (20 or 25 dives... I can't remember which) with the skill being taught and then you can teach it.

As far as your initial question, I think you are asking if you'll have to meet with an IT and for how long. This will depend on your IT. When I crossed over, I never "met" my regional manager/IT except by Zoom. We did everything virtually. SDI is pretty comfortable with virtual training.

Are you an instructor with another agency now? If so, your current certifications will carry over (for example, PADI Deep Instructor becomes SDI Deep Instructor).
No not an instructor with another agency.

I am living in Moalboal and with limited travel I dove the same sites too many times. I decided to take tech courses and have TDI extended range, would have done Trimix but no local instructor and now thinking of CCR route instead.

I helped my instructor on a rescue course as the designated victim and enjoyed it. I am now taking SDI dive master and will follow on with TDI dive master as well.

My instructor asked if I would be interested in an IDC and now am looking for all the info I can get before deciding.

Outside if the dive implications I am also looking at the requirements to work here as before I spend that much on a course that is designed to work at the subject I want to be sure I can work, really all I am interested in earning enough to pay for the course, I do not need the money for my lifestyle. It would be nice if I earned enough to pay the course and my fun diving as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom