Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkathecow:
hi walter,

what is silver & gold ?

At the time it was Silver Star Instructor and Gold Star Instructor. Now, it's Silver Instructor and Gold Instructor.

stephhhhh:
How many dives did you have when you did your DM and Instructor?

I think 8 or 9 hundred for DM. I'm working on instructor now. At last count I was up to 14-hundred-and-something

Would you recommend to do the Instru right after the DM without waiting a long time.

Steph

How long is long? I personally don't think you can become a competent instructor without lots of diving experience and I have trouble understanding how you can train and/or direct DM's if you don't hve any experience with the roll....

R..

I've never been certified as a Dive Master. Back in the day, there was no DM certification. The steps were: Scuba Diver, Assistant Instructor, Instructor.

I´m thinking about doing dm this year @ ~350dives...

Considering that I should have about 200 dives if I do the Instru. It's way too far from what you guys had when starting DM.

The thing is that I'm 26, I don't want to spend 1 to 2 years diving only "sometimes" cause we all know that being a DM doesn't pay the bill. The Instru is I think the best solution to really work in the industry.

Another question, while you're a DM can yo go diving (considering you're not working for a dive center)anywhere for free...? :)

stephhhhh:
while you're a DM can yo go diving (considering you're not working for a dive center)anywhere for free...? :)

Not usually, although sometimes you can trade work for dives.

stephhhhh:
The thing is that I'm 26, I don't want to spend 1 to 2 years diving only "sometimes" cause we all know that being a DM doesn't pay the bill. The Instru is I think the best solution to really work in the industry.

Another question, while you're a DM can yo go diving (considering you're not working for a dive center)anywhere for free...? :)

I had about 200 dives when I did my DM. I went straight from DM course to instructor course, and never actually worked while holding the rating of DM. Outside the country of your citizenship, it would be EXTREMLY hard to find work holding a DM rating. Of the few places I've worked where we actually hired DMs, St. Thomas was the only one where the DMs could make enough to pay the bills.

I'd say that even as an instructor you'll never go with a non-local operation for free. I usually get some sort of discount (but not always: Dive Tutukaka I'm looking in your direction!). Of course local operations (who know me) will let me ride along for free, if space is available.
The diveshop you work for (even part time) will always give you free dives (in fact if they won't, don't work for them!) as long as you're not cancelling work to do so.
Most of the shops I've worked for will not trade DM work for dive trips, unless you're a friend of the shop (as in the owner or full time staff). It's mostly an issue of local knowledge: if you don't know the local divesites well enough to guide, there's not really any reason to have you dm...
Most places in the tropics (at least those I've worked in) have not needed assistants as classes tend to be smaller.

I started diving in June 1973 at 15, and got NAUI certified in December 1974 AFTER having dived 250 times. In November 1975 I turned 18 and became a Divemaster after 500 dives in all types of waters (lakes, rivers, quarries, coastal, open saltwater, cavern, wreck, search & recovery, scientific, and deep). Been a working Divemaster ever since, making my 10,000 dive this past April - never wanted to be an instructor.

DM 300
Instructor 500

DM 100 +
Not interested in becoming an instructor. Did that in a former life on helicopters.

Back
Top Bottom