Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
I got my DM somewhere around 100 dives and instructor somewhere around 200. I do recommend waiting between the 2 and getting some experience. It will help you to observe other instructors and decide what you want to use and what you don't want to use. Unless you have some teaching experience, I also recommend waiting longer. I had about 10 years teaching experience when I become a dive instructor.
ditto - be a diver first - IMHO too many instructors are instructirs first and forget the joy of diving - the more experiences you have the better - as a DM work with a number oif Instructors -learn from all and make your methods yours, but integrate what they do that fits what and who you are -diving is a social activity, be the social leader, have fun, enjoy diving and that will be conveyed to them and they will start diving with you and you will have your own 'groupies" in no time

Exactly, Hob! One of the reasons my wife and I became independent was because the shop we were affiliated with didn't have that philosophy or even allow their instructors to dive unless it's required by standards. Instructors had to dive with OW students of course, and got to do the deep dive (to the sand at 60' and back up) and the night dive, but they couldn't get in the water any other time. This wasn't a written policy, but when we did more than the allowed dives, we were read the riot act about how we should be on shore helping out with other activities that were going on.

Now we do our own thing and go on every dive. We also hang out during the surface intervals and talk to our students. So our classes are pretty much social activities where the divers get to learn about diving. I don't know if I'd call them 'groupies' :D but we do have divers coming out to see us on a regular basis when we're at the lake.

Dive-aholic:
Exactly, Hob! One of the reasons my wife and I became independent was because the shop we were affiliated with didn't have that philosophy or even allow their instructors to dive unless it's required by standards. Instructors had to dive with OW students of course, and got to do the deep dive (to the sand at 60' and back up) and the night dive, but they couldn't get in the water any other time. This wasn't a written policy, but when we did more than the allowed dives, we were read the riot act about how we should be on shore helping out with other activities that were going on.

Now we do our own thing and go on every dive. We also hang out during the surface intervals and talk to our students. So our classes are pretty much social activities where the divers get to learn about diving. I don't know if I'd call them 'groupies' :D but we do have divers coming out to see us on a regular basis when we're at the lake.
First off, Bear Down, Arizona! Class of '79

2nd, the term groupie was facetious but ya got my drift - we even go to a local watering hole after class, and have people from years ago that come for the beer and discussions. - we have people that will sign up for my "cheese sandwich" trips and they love it - keep having fun and it's contagious

I admire you teaching with your spouse; mine calls diving the "other woman"; it is a point of tension with us - which is a shame as I coordinate the club and we do alot of camp/dive trips and she loves camping and fishing, but won't go with us - oh well, the dog still loves me :)

I'm right here in Tucson. But I only got here in '89.

Yeah, I got your drift. I just wanted to clarify should any of my 'groupies' stumble upon this thread and take offense... :D We don't typically head to any watering holes. The valley has gotten too big for anything to be local there. Lots of folks come out from all over the area. For some it's a 20 minute drive home. For others it's 90 minutes. So we just build a campfire and hang out around it after the night dives.

I got lucky when I met my wife. We got certified together and have done all of our training together, including cave training. She's not much into wrecks, so if it's a wreck trip, she'll usually find something else to do, unless she's helping me teach a wreck class.

Dive-aholic:
I got my DM somewhere around 100 dives and instructor somewhere around 200. I do recommend waiting between the 2 and getting some experience. It will help you to observe other instructors and decide what you want to use and what you don't want to use.

I was about the same and found DM'ing / team teaching invaluable.

DD

I just started my DM course, and I have 91 dives on my weightbelt. Most are shore dives, most in the icy waters of British Columbia, but a few in the caverns in Tulum MX, and a few in the currents of Cozumel. I have dove both wet and dry, both from boat and shore, have been in overhead and OW environments, dove wrecks and caverns, bays and walls...have dove shallow and deep, dove doubles and singles, have tried a few different equipment setups...basically, I've been in a bunch of environments and have had a few scary experiences along with a heck of a lot of good ones.

I also plan on taking the entire year for my DM course, so by the time I finish it, I should have at least 150 dives, perhaps close to 200. I also plan on working at the DM level for quite some time...not even sure if I ever want to become an instructor anyway.

It's different for everyone, but I think everybody that undergoes the DM course should have lots of different diving experiences in lots of different environments. And why rush to be an instructor right away? Enjoy the path there...stop and smell the roses on the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom