Insurance State Farm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tip. I have State Farm and will be calling my agent tomorrow to find out about coverage.

I have a inland marine policy for covering my UW camera gear and its inusred through state farm. It covers everything from simple damage to lost or destroyed.

for 5200 worth of camera gear i payed $59 for all the coverage.

FWIW

Tooth

Scubatooth:
I have a inland marine policy for covering my UW camera gear and its inusred through state farm. It covers everything from simple damage to lost or destroyed.

for 5200 worth of camera gear i payed $59 for all the coverage.

FWIW

Tooth

I also use State Farm.......my cost is $29.00 per year for $2000.00 in coverage.

After re-reading my posts above I need to put in a clarification. I'm not picking on State Farm. ALL homeowner's insurance companies on the coast are playing the same payout delay/understaffed/not my problem game. Some of this may be due to a truly overwhelming event, but I get the impression that's not all of it.

FT

State Farm? Good luck collecting. I have had experience with them, they invented the "put them on hold and they will eventually go away" method of doing business.

State Farm may have invented voice mail, now that I think of it.

Sounds like you had a bad experience there...

I have my cars and home insured through state farm, we have been with the same agent since I started driving.. I am very happy with them, and have not had a problem at all :14:

crpntr133:
Good thing is that you don't have to have a rider to get the gear insurance. I found out that most other companies will not give you a policy that covers you camera in case of a flooded housing.

Without the rider, you are subject to the deductable (in my case $1,000), with the additional rider there is no deducable.

Just be aware of an issue in some states which can affect you when insuring through your homeowners policy. In some states, if you have 2 claims in three years, of any type, against your policy, you could be subject to being classified high risk and at risk of losing your insurance. That is the case in Colorado. You can have one camera theft and a break-in on your car, neither one even related to damage to your home, and you are either uninsurable or at exhorbitant rates.

While I could insure my gear at a much lower cost than through DEPP, there's no way I'm going to let damage to my gear affect protection to my home.

Puck:
Without the rider, you are subject to the deductable (in my case $1,000), with the additional rider there is no deducable.

I also have State farm insurance. It also covers all gear, even any property loss on the travel, but it doesn't cover any flood damages on the camera. Do I need to have the additional rider?

BurBunny:
Just be aware of an issue in some states which can affect you when insuring through your homeowners policy. In some states, if you have 2 claims in three years, of any type, against your policy, you could be subject to being classified high risk and at risk of losing your insurance. That is the case in Colorado. You can have one camera theft and a break-in on your car, neither one even related to damage to your home, and you are either uninsurable or at exhorbitant rates.

While I could insure my gear at a much lower cost than through DEPP, there's no way I'm going to let damage to my gear affect protection to my home.

Im an Insurance Adjuster and what BurBunny says is absolutely correct. While there are lots of reasons to have all your insurance needs provided by 1 company (agent), if you have 2 claims within 3 years you are subject to losing those policies. IE, you could be non-renewed.
A small additional premium for "Scuba" related gear, that might have a higher probability of you filing a claim, might be worth paying. You can maybe save a few dollars a year on your premiums by adding a rider to your homeowners policy or having an inland marine policy. But weigh whether it's worth possibily losing your homeowners coverage. I carry my scuba gear with a separate company than I have my homeowners coverage with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom