Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You cant have too much insurance, but you can have too little!!

Maule:
My answer to this is, YES. Here is why. Are you going to dive after being certified? (if you aren't then why are you getting certified?)

Ditto. The insurance is good for a year, regardless of the number of dives that you do.

DAN offers a program to all instructors to offer free dive insurance until the final OW check out dive is completed. Contact the cruise ship and ask them if they offer this. After you complete it, get the insurance. It's not much, but if needed it will help a whole lot.

Bullswan:
Here is something else to consider............

Life Insurance. It might be a good idea before you certify to check on your personal life insurance situation and if you don't feel you are sufficiently covered NOW might be the time to buy more. One of the underwriting questions is "crazy stuff". IE: Hang Gliding, Hot Air Ballooning, Scuba Diving, etc etc. The answer of yes to any of those avocations will increase your premium. Get all you need before you are doing those things might be wise.

Greg

My insurance company wanted to charge me an extra $30.00 per month on my life insurance premium because I dive.

YES, get it.

To say it in a few words;
Who’s the winner in little person vs big corporation?

Being cheap not could cost you big time later.

Gary D.

All,

Thank-you for all the useful information.

Now the only decision I need to make is wether to go with DAN or Dive Assure.

Thanks again!!!

Ontwreckdiver:
My insurance company wanted to charge me an extra $30.00 per month on my life insurance premium because I dive.
Not sure who you're getting life insurance through, but with State Farm it didn't make any differnce getting OW certified.

However, I wasn't scuba diving at the time I started the life insurance policy, but it was a question they asked. So I assume my rates would have been higher if I was scuba diving at the time I took out the policy? When I called my agent after getting OW certified, he said it didn't make any difference now.

YMMV,
Jason

If you weren't scuba diving at the time of the application and could truthfully answer the question you are all set. Even if down the road you took it up it wouldn't affect the rate. That is EXACTLY my point...... Get the life insurance before you have to answer the question "do you scuba dive" in the affirmative.

Insurance companies aren't dumb ,however, they are now asking if "you are currently scuba diving OR DO YOU PLAN TO IN THE FUTURE?".

Once you get past (usually) the 2 year non-contestability period it doesn't matter what you do and it won't affect the rates.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom