Insuring dive cameras and dive gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone aware of an International Insurance company offering policies for theft, loss or damage of dive gear and cameras ?

I (and buddy) tend to take all of our own dive gear and dive cameras with us wherever we head on dive trips, and though airline or travel insurances partially cover 'loss of baggage', and DAN covers gear 'lost in emergency' - I cannot seem to find an insurer that will cover us for such simple potentials as -

- nicked out of the car,
- nicked from dive resort (or hotel),
- leaking housing drowns camera / strobes,
- lost in the ocean

Anyone have a decent policy that is not just an extension of a house contents insurance policy - as it seems in my current location, even a house contents insurance wont cover me.

I lost a dive camera due to leaking housing some months back, and am just thinking ahead, as two complete sets of gear with suits, BCDs, regs, cameras, strobes, housings etc is an expensive bundle to be travelling with without insurances.

Any links to insurers sites appreciated

Cheers

divergirl1227,

Thanks for that, only problem - it says "Only for DAN Members residing in the USA" which alas I don't :depressed:

I'll contact them anyway, as maybe they can put me onto someone.

Cheers, and safe diving.

If you do find an insurer, please post again with the name. :)

Annasea,

Will do.

Am waiting for H20Insurance to get back to me, as if they can offer a 'worlwide' cover for US residents, I don't see why they couldn't offer same for 'non' US residents, or at least they should have an affiliate company somewhere, as not all US people are resident in US right !

I heard from DAN Asia Pacific, they do not have insurance package as yet for 'Asian' residents but said they maybe will have later next year.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Most insurance that ive seen covering theft from cars (including my car insurance actually) have a clause saying that if ANY valuables are visible from the outside, anything lost in a theft from the car and any damage done to the car during the theft will not be covered.

My travel insurance cover any items stolen as long as they are stored properly (closed windows and locked doors when it come to hotel rooms), however NOT items I lose myself and only a limited ammount of cash (~400 USD). Then again, walking around with huge piles of cash or leaving huge piles of cash around has never been something I felt comfortable with in the first place - Making myself an attractive target isnt quite my thing..

Granted youre unlikely to be able to use my insurance company - I would first of all shop around for reputable travel insurance providers and get info from them..

I have no idea how things work in Taiwan, but in the US often the best approach is to schedule your dive gear and camera stuff on you homeowner or renter insurance.

I have my things insured here:
Diving Equipment

My GF lost her D9 computer, Divemaster Insurance payed after 2 weeks after providing a police report.
Their quick, easy haindling convinced me to et insuranced with thm as well.

Chris

Chris

Very strange that your home insurance won't cover it. There are different types of homeowners policies, some covering named perils only such as fire and theft etc and then there are comprehensive policies that include a clause caused "mysterious disappearance". This would also cover things such as a "flooded housing" and things of that nature. I have all of my photo and dive gear scheduled on my policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom