Question Integrated weights for first bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

Nev77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

After 100+ dives with a jacket BCD, I recently tried a wing and was instantly converted!

So now (as we do!) I'm looking to buy my own bp/w setup. After a lot of reading, I've settled on the XDeep Zen with the regular harness, not the quick release version.

I was most recently diving in the Med with 4kg on a belt. I could possibly drop a bit more.

With the new rig, I was looking at the XDeep integrated pockets but a) they seem very expensive for a couple of pouches and b) I've read a lot of comments saying they're not great, not easy to access etc.

So I was thinking that if I still need 4kg, I could put 2 x 1kg in trim pockets and 2 x 1 on the harness. If I do that, is it as simple as buying a cheaper pouch and securing it on the waist band with a triglide? Or is there real value in splashing out for the xdeep integrated ones??

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Trim weight pockets will work, as will other brands of pockets for 2” webbing that is standard on BPW setups.

A note about the XDeep large weight pockets: use care when putting solid weights in them. They have a convenient handle on them to pick them up or pull them from the pouch. However, the zipper (plastic) is opposite that handle so if you drop the weight bag on a hard surface the hard weights can smash and damage the zipper, as some have experienced. I use soft weights and have tossed the pouches into my truck or dropped onto the garage floor for the last couple years without issue. But when traveling and using hard weights from the local DC some care is in order.

I haven't dived with those XDeep weight pockets. But I have tried these similar ones from OMS, and didn't like them. Too bulky, too expensive, and they are trying to solve a nonexistent problem IMHO.

2 or maybe 4 small (like 2kg each) trim pockets on the cam bands or the waist bands work very well, and for cheap. 2kg lead plus a steel plate is sufficient for my Caribbean diving in a 3mm full suit. Anything colder than about 25C, and I'll bring along a weight belt. The rubber belts from MAKO can't be beat. I'm sure a similar product exists in the UK if you don't want to freight it all the way from the US

I really like my integrated weight pockets from Helium.

Easy to get the weights placed right where I want them.

I’ve just been diving a weight belt when using AL 80s (only need 2 kilos) but with steel and an SS plate I don’t need any weight. Maybe will when diving dry, haven’t found out yet. Not crazy about taking up space on my waist band.

Why not just use a weight belt? You might only need 5-6 lbs with the BP/w, or less. I find wearing a weight belt with that little weight very comfortable.

I'd like to ditch the belt, but I've been looking at so many options that I nearly just went for a pocket belt!

Trim weight pockets will work, as will other brands of pockets for 2” webbing that is standard on BPW setups.

A note about the XDeep large weight pockets: use care when putting solid weights in them. They have a convenient handle on them to pick them up or pull them from the pouch. However, the zipper (plastic) is opposite that handle so if you drop the weight bag on a hard surface the hard weights can smash and damage the zipper, as some have experienced. I use soft weights and have tossed the pouches into my truck or dropped onto the garage floor for the last couple years without issue. But when traveling and using hard weights from the local DC some care is in order.

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking about trim pockets which are way cheaper and I can plat around with where they go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom