Question Integrated weights for first bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

Nev77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

After 100+ dives with a jacket BCD, I recently tried a wing and was instantly converted!

So now (as we do!) I'm looking to buy my own bp/w setup. After a lot of reading, I've settled on the XDeep Zen with the regular harness, not the quick release version.

I was most recently diving in the Med with 4kg on a belt. I could possibly drop a bit more.

With the new rig, I was looking at the XDeep integrated pockets but a) they seem very expensive for a couple of pouches and b) I've read a lot of comments saying they're not great, not easy to access etc.

So I was thinking that if I still need 4kg, I could put 2 x 1kg in trim pockets and 2 x 1 on the harness. If I do that, is it as simple as buying a cheaper pouch and securing it on the waist band with a triglide? Or is there real value in splashing out for the xdeep integrated ones??

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

I recently picked up a set of these weight plates. They allow for the easy addition of 2 hard weights to 2 inch webbing without the need to re-thread the harness. I plan to use them when I need 2-4 more pounds of ballast. You can attach the weights to either the waist or shoulder straps on a BP harness.

I've not had them wet yet but in setting them up & testing them, they seem like they will work well & will be quite flexible.

I recently picked up a set of these weight plates. They allow for the easy addition of 2 hard weights to 2 inch webbing without the need to re-thread the harness. I plan to use them when I need 2-4 more pounds of ballast. You can attach the weights to either the waist or shoulder straps on a BP harness.

I've not had them wet yet but in setting them up & testing them, they seem like they will work well & will be quite flexible.

I like the look of those and it'll allow me display my blue weights😂

🤔

Black weights blue bungee😊

@Divin'Papaw , you have no idea what you just started.

@buddhasummer , you can 3d print these in any color you want...INCLUDING blue:

-Z

Cheap and simple are 2 of my favourite things! Can't get Hog where I live but will get something similar.
Few solutions are as simple and cheap as a weight belt. However, if you've really nailed your weighting and want to get rid of the extra belt, I would put the extra weight on the tank via cam bands or something like that. If you're going to clutter your front by putting weight pockets on the harness, I would personally prefer either sticking with the weight belt or threading the weight directly on the waist belt of the harness.

I have used these, and they work great.

@Nev77

Are you using steel or aluminum cylinders?

With a SS BP & STA, that's 2.5-3 kg right there. Put some trim pockets or move those pockets to your waist belt on your harness and you are good to go. Maybe 0.5 to 1.0 kg in each pouch.

It all depends on how you trim out.

Few solutions are as simple and cheap as a weight belt. However, if you've really nailed your weighting and want to get rid of the extra belt, I would put the extra weight on the tank via cam bands or something like that. If you're going to clutter your front by putting weight pockets on the harness, I would personally prefer either sticking with the weight belt or threading the weight directly on the waist belt of the harness.
I agree, but those DGX weight pockets are tiny though.

Fortunately between my 5.1kg plate, 2.8kg plate and halcyon weighted STA weight I rarely need to use them.

Reactions: Zef
I use Subgravity trim pockets They have some designed for harness attachment and others for attachment to the plate. Don’t know if they are batter or worse than the others, but for simple Velcro flap pockets, I like how much easier it is to insert plates rather than soft lead bags.

Wow, the price for those DGX pockets have nearly doubled in the few years since I bought a pair of them....my only gripe about these pockets is they rely totally on the velcro to retain the weight, and I am always concerned that they will pop open and the weight will slip out.

When I used them, it was typically while diving dry and carrying "more" lead and used them to distribute the weight, so if the velcro did give up the ghost and lost a brick it would only be a kilo and not too critical. I stopped using them because my brain would not let me be comfortable while diving with them.

There are similar weight pockets on the market that have the added benefit of a clip buckle type fastner in addition to the velcro.

-Z

if you put them on your tank cam band and orient them the right way, then you can put weight in them and slide them all the way forward, so the trim weight pocket opening is snuggled right into the V between the tank and BP, then tighten the cam bands. Once done like that, even if you didn’t close the Velcro flap at all the lead weight literally could not fall out.

Back
Top Bottom