Interesting history of DIR debate. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey once bubbled...
Hmmm....

Lets start with DAN sticker?...
I am unfamiliar with DAN stickers, what do they do? You mean just a plain old DAN sticker with no information on it? A logo?

WaterDawg once bubbled...
...Not sure. Maybe so when your inspecting your gas (O2 content) you can be sure you did YOUR tank.

I would also like to know the real reason behind it.

Not really questioning the reasoning behind putting your name on the tank. I understand that completely.

What is the reasoning behind not having anything else on the tank though?

I know what DAN is but whats their sticker for???
Emergency #'s or something?

Knavey once bubbled...

What is the reasoning behind not having anything else on the tank though?

I know that they put the MOD of each tank (depending on the gas mix) so keeping it unclutered would make it easy to read.

O-ring once bubbled...

I am unfamiliar with DAN stickers, what do they do? You mean just a plain old DAN sticker with no information on it? A logo?

My DAN sticker has the emergency phone number number on it.

Here is one scanned into the computer.

WaterDawg once bubbled...
I know what DAN is but whats their sticker for???
Emergency #'s or something?

Never had to use it, but it seems rational to think that if a diver is pulled from the water and needs a ride, then having that number is probably only second in importance to the Coast Guard or the local 911 emergency system.

If they have it on their tank, its a reasonable bet they are a DAN member and I trust that organization to direct me better than someone who doesn't know the first thing about DCS or scuba diving accidents.

..but, let me throw out another consideration. You might want to carry the information somewhere else instead of relying on a tank sticker. There may be times when you use rental tanks or the sticker gets scratched off or nicked up badly enough to not be legible. If you rely on the number being there, and it isn't when you need it, you will wish you had used a DAN tag or just made sure the boat had the number.

My reasoning is just like yours O-Ring...just from the other side of the coin.

I agree that the tank stickers can be pretty banged up but if they are your tanks, and you ensure that they are legible just as you would make sure that your gear is in good shape for a dive.

If the boat does NOT have the number readily available and they have to go searching through the wallets for a card, or look it up in another spot, it makes perfect sense to me to have it plastered on a tank where it is easily accessible as long as it is in decent condition.

It never hurts to have it in multiple places...and I would think the most visible place would be attached to the diver...and what better place to put it than on the tank.

It just struck me as odd that on the list of his items, he specifically said "TANKS HAVE NOTHING BUT YOUR NAME ON THEM." That seemed to preclude something that I consider very reasonable to have written on your tank.

Again, I am just trying to determine the "Why" behind the statement out of a very interesting list of gear.

Wendy- Thanks for the link :)

In my neck of the woods, dive boat captains take your C-card and you don't get it back until the dive's over. Maybe you could affix your DAN sticker to the back of your card, point it out to the crew, and let them hold your card until you're done.

I have nothing on my tank other than my name and my VIP sticker, which is a small sticker that goes up on top of the tank near the neck.

The reasoning for no other stickers, from I understand, is cuz you can not see rust or damamge to your tank with staickers on it. Have you ever looked at a tank once all the stickers have been removed? Its terrible the stuff that goes on under a sticker. Also I don't have boots on my steel tanks, cuz I rather not have the boots than to have to knock them off after everydive to clean out the sand, salt, and junk that gets trapped in there.

Back
Top Bottom