Interesting lobster regulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me rephrase and/or clarify. I meant take as many as I can within limits. The only point of contention is "holding them" in a freezer which just means I have to waste gas and time to go give them to someone else to hold in their freezer before I can go again. Of course this would be assuming I even catch 7 in one go.

As for the greedy part, well I am catching them specifically to give away most of them to others to eat, just all at one meal. This would be the OPPOSITE of greedy since it will be my time, my money, and my effort to give them away for free.

Q. What is the daily bag limit for lobster? The possession limit?

A. According to Section 29.90(b) T14, CCR, the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved.

Thoughts? And more importantly, if this interpretation is correct, will it change the way you take lobsters this year?

until just a few years ago I belived that a daily bag limit was how much you caught in a day, once you took them home and a new day starts you can catch a limit again. Once I heard about this clarification that what is in your freezer counts toward your bag limit I changed my ways. I used to freeze a bunch of bugs so I could have lobster in the summertime, now I just save one bag limit in my freezer for my summertime lobster taco's. It's all good though, they are better fresh anyway.

Let me rephrase and/or clarify. I meant take as many as I can within limits. The only point of contention is "holding them" in a freezer which just means I have to waste gas and time to go give them to someone else to hold in their freezer before I can go again. Of course this would be assuming I even catch 7 in one go.

As for the greedy part, well I am catching them specifically to give away most of them to others to eat, just all at one meal. This would be the OPPOSITE of greedy since it will be my time, my money, and my effort to give them away for free.

Clammy…you are correct, this wouldn’t be “Greed,” it’s more like being irresponsible. Imagine (if possible) if everybody did this and took all the lobsters possible (or even a large percentage) there wouldn’t be any (or not many) lobsters left next season to breed. This is kind of what happen with the Abalone in the 70-80s…too many were taken by “irresponsible divers” (like you’re talking about) and the result is there are none now. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have even one abalone now…but we can’t because sooo many back “in the day” wanted to have huge feast at their homes to impress their friends all summer long.

If you friends want more lobster…teach them to dive.

Think; be responsible; moderation is the key; that’s all, seven is plenty to feed fourteen people, just add a little something-something to go with the tidbit of lobster and enjoy. Think about the future…your kids; your family; your friends enjoying lobster generations from now.

Besides, as mentioned….frozen lobster is Not nearly as tasty as fresh lobster.

That's a bit on the absurd side. Imagine if every certified diver, or even a quarter of all or even an 1/8 of all them in areas with lobster went out and took 1 lobster. All "responsible" you'd still end up decimating the population.

I don't know what the regulations on abalone was back in the 50s through the 90s but I'd have to imagine they certainly aren't as strict as today, if there were even any at all during some of those decades. I do not believe it to be irresponsible at all. There are limits imposed by the state that I still intend to follow. I am not poaching, or spending all my time catching huge quantities. You can only catch 7 which is pretty difficult as it is. My intention is to go out for 2-3 nights in a row and catch as many as I can trying to feed 10-14 people ONCE, not weekly. That's 14-21 lobsters max for the entire season and more realistically, it's far less. Just because I do it at one go isn't more irresponsible than stretching it out over the 5 months. As far as freezing goes, considering you usually have to go at night and can't be certain of a catch, you usually have to throw them in the freezer anyways for another meal.

As far as thinking about the future goes, I am a baykeeper, I do support all of the marine protected zones, I do spend time trying to educate people on marine conservancy, and I've been behind those booths at the shows too. It's not mutually exclusive to want to hunt and try to conserve. I'm not a hippie. Feeding 10+ people isn't wasteful. The biggest losers would actually be the state since they probably want the money for each lobster and fishing license.

Clammy…you are correct, this wouldn’t be “Greed,” it’s more like being irresponsible. Imagine (if possible) if everybody did this and took all the lobsters possible (or even a large percentage) there wouldn’t be any (or not many) lobsters left next season to breed. This is kind of what happen with the Abalone in the 70-80s…too many were taken by “irresponsible divers” (like you’re talking about) and the result is there are none now. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could have even one abalone now…but we can’t because sooo many back “in the day” wanted to have huge feast at their homes to impress their friends all summer long.

If you friends want more lobster…teach them to dive.

Think; be responsible; moderation is the key; that’s all, seven is plenty to feed fourteen people, just add a little something-something to go with the tidbit of lobster and enjoy. Think about the future…your kids; your family; your friends enjoying lobster generations from now.

Besides, as mentioned….frozen lobster is Not nearly as tasty as fresh lobster.

.My intention is to go out for 2-3 nights in a row and catch as many as I can trying to feed 10-14 people ONCE, not weekly. That's 14-21 lobsters max for the entire season and more realistically, it's far less.

Just to be crystal clear, what you're proposing is illegal. You may only possess seven lobsters at a time (keeping some in your freezer while you go out the next day to get more is no longer allowed if the total you have exceeds seven). You would indeed be poaching at that point.

I do not believe it to be irresponsible at all. There are limits imposed by the state that I still intend to follow. I am not poaching, or spending all my time catching huge quantities. You can only catch 7 which is pretty difficult as it is. My intention is to go out for 2-3 nights in a row and catch as many as I can trying to feed 10-14 people ONCE, not weekly. That's 14-21 lobsters max for the entire season and more realistically, it's far less. Just because I do it at one go isn't more irresponsible than stretching it out over the 5 months.
Actually, it is. It's called gluttony. Just because you want to hoard as many as you can catch in 2-3 nights does not mean you will not go out again before March. The law has no room for personal interpretation. Unless you have a multi day permit, you may only possess seven lobsters at a time. You may feel special and feel that laws don't apply to you, but they are in effect to protect all Californians who may wish to share and enjoy our resources. Anyone witnessing someone taking more than their limit, shorts or any other game illegally should call 1 888 DFG-CALTIP(888 334 -2258).

Did you even bother reading the other posts before answering? What part of GIVE THEM AWAY BEFORE I GO AGAIN WITHIN THE MAX OF THE LAW is not understandable or against the law? Feel free to check my freezer, I'll gladly post every time I go hunt. I do not feel special and above the law but apparently you feel special enough to take an unjustified moral high ground.

Actually, it is. It's called gluttony. Just because you want to hoard as many as you can catch in 2-3 nights does not mean you will not go out again before March. The law has no room for personal interpretation. Unless you have a multi day permit, you may only possess seven lobsters at a time. You may feel special and feel that laws don't apply to you, but they are in effect to protect all Californians who may wish to share and enjoy our resources. Anyone witnessing someone taking more than their limit, shorts or any other game illegally should call 1 888 DFG-CALTIP(888 334 -2258).

TC:
If simply interpreted possession would include those at home. But the chance of F&G checking your freezer (at home) is pretty unlikely.

Since I can never catch many it's not a problem.
Could be arranged ...

Did you even bother reading the other posts before answering? What part of GIVE THEM AWAY BEFORE I GO AGAIN WITHIN THE MAX OF THE LAW is not understandable or against the law?
Actually, I did read your posts. You clearly said, "My intention is to go out for 2-3 nights in a row and catch as many as I can trying to feed 10-14 people ONCE, not weekly."
You didn't say you were giving away your catch one day, then give away more the next and so on. You were talking about feeding 10-14 people once. If you need more than seven lobsters in possession you should really send your friends to Redondo Pier, where they can purchase spiny lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom