International dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did several web searches but didn't find the actual governing body or commission that determines the use or designation of naval flags.

My neighbor periodically (pun) wears a t-shirt that shows the Bravo (Carrying Dangerous Cargo) and Juliet (On Fire) flags.

She calls it her 'PMS shirt.'

It wasn't a casual inquiry, There are two Michigan statutes involving dive flags. One refers to the "international insignia" and the other describes the ordinary red and white flag. It makes a difference for legal purposes. Also, Scuba Diving 2d edition by Dennis Graver has a picture of the two flags with the Alpha flag labeled "international" and the red & white "national."Thats in the section called "dive flags." It's important that the people writing the boating laws know what flags we're using and not get them confused.
:doctor:

When I was in high school, I was in Naval JROTC. One of the skills we learned was how to read flags posted and understand the history of these flags. Long before there was radio communications, sialing ships on the high sea or near the coast would display flags showing its' current condition. Although they had flags, the number and types didn't come near the number there are today. After many years, the ships from many countries "adopted" a set standard of flags to use in communications. this is so in case of communications failure, ie. no radio, morse code, etc. then the visual means of communications would relay a message from afar to a Captain or First Mate who was scanning the area for ships. Just think, when any Captain of a ship that saw a balck flag with a skull and crossbones, you know what was going though his mind.

I do not know if there is a hardfast rule written down in some book about the alphabetic flags used in maritime operations, but I would gather that all these countries adopted the same "letters" or flag designations so they can't communicate without the barrier of language. Just like morse code, S.O.S. means HELP in any language. The United States Maritime Law requires any merchant craft operating out of US harbors to follow certains rules and regulations.

The Diver Down Flag (red with a diagonal white stripe) is internationally known but not adopted by many countries or required by US law to be used. Some states have requirements for divers to use them, but if it were required by US Law, I am sure our SCUBA instructors will be required by the government to enforce that law during their instructions and have them spend many hours on how to read the cryptic legalese from the books.

Hope this helps.

*Note: I am not a laywer or professional historian, but this is what I remember from my days in high school....hehe, at least I learned something and have something to share.

there are TWO different flags in the US, and they mean completely DIFFERENT things, although in some cases you should fly BOTH.

The ALFA, or code "A", gives the BOAT privilege - specifically, it exempts it from the requirement to maneuver in accordance with the rules of the road because the vessel is tending divers. In other words, flying it gives privilege to the vessel and thus (if understood by other traffic!) should protect the BOAT from collision. It is ONLY appropriate to fly this from a boat and ONLY IF your boat is physically prevented from maneuvering.. A boat drifting and able to maneuver (e.g. no divers being recovered or discharged at the moment) technically should NOT fly it, although many do. A boat supplying divers with surface-supplied air or with a deco bar hanging below the boat MUST fly it, because the boat CANNOT move without damaging the equipment (or the divers!)

The standard is the ABILITY of the boat to maneuver, not whether doing so would mean compromising a "bubble watch". ALFA is intended for commercial surface-supplied operations where the boat was physically connected to the diver(s) below and was thus physically prohibited from moving. If you're supplying gas via a deco bar or hoses to divers below, or if you have wires (e.g. communication links) tying you to the divers in the water, then it is certainly appropriate to fly it. It is appropriate while you are actually picking up or discharging divers, but are otherwise legally underway (that is, not anchored), as you may have intentionally shut down propulsion engines in order to reboard or discharge divers.

Technically, if you are ANCHORED with non-tethered (not surface supplied) divers below, you should not fly ALFA. Instead, you should fly an anchor ball or, at night, have your anchor light illuminated! Yet there is probably not one recreational powerboat skipper in 1000 that knows what an anchor ball IS!

An awful lot of so-called "commercial" skippers get this wrong and fly ALFA under circumstances where its CLEARLY inappropriate to do so. I've yet to see an anchor ball flown on a charter dive boat, but a lot of them do in fact anchor!

It is also completely inappropriate to fly ALFA if you're diving from shore or otherwise not from a boat. It confers no protection or privilege for the divers themselves, only for a boat tending them.

The DIVER DOWN flag (reg flag with a diagonal stripe) is a warning to vessels that divers are in the immediate area under the surface. It SHOULD be flown as close as is practical to the actual location where the divers are and is ONLY permissible to fly when divers are actually in the water. For divers operating off a boat, it is common to fly it on the boat, although that could be 200' or more from where the divers actually are, especially if the boat is anchored. Most state laws have requirements for approach to a diver-down flag, mandating that approach closer than some specified distance (typically 300' in open water and 100' in a channel or other restricted water) be at no more than idle speed. Many states, including Florida, have specific laws relating to "buzzing" a dive flag as well as either not displaying one when diving or displaying a flag when nobody is actually in the water.

The diver-down flag does not have international recognition in the COLREGS. ALFA does. Outside US territorial waters finding out what is recognized as proper protocol for diving in terms of flag display is probably a darn good idea.

Very well writen Genesis.

I have seen the anchor ball used in the St Lawrence River by charter boats tying off to mourings. Mind you it is the exception to the rule and not the norm. Most charter boats on the river and Lake Ontario fly both the Alpha and the sport divers flag. The Collission Regulations "require" you to keep clear of the vessel flying the flag whereas the sports diving flag (in Ontario) is a request to keep clear as divers in the area....but as others have mentioned it seems to be a turn arround point for sea-doos

ALFA is that if you cause a collision as a consequence (e.g. you COULD maneuver but claimed a privilege you were not really entitled to) you are going to get nailed BADLY in a maritime court.

I'm simply amazed at the folks with commercial tickets (e.g. 100 Ton Master's) who get this wrong. I understand the recreational guy getting it wrong, and I could even argue that ALFA + DIVER DOWN if you're ANCHORED is defensible - I frequently fly that combination myself due to the GROSS lack of understanding of what an anchor ball means among most powerboat skippers (since you can't move the boat) but to see it up on a boat doing a drift dive - unless there are divers physically boarding or disembarking at that point in time - is just plain wrong. The difference is that I know WHY I'm doing it and, in fact, do have an anchor ball on board (ask most skippers, including charter operators, if they have one on board and see how many blank stares you get back in reply!) Around here I can count the anchor balls I've seen displayed in the last couple of years on the fingers of one hand, and that includes sailboats (who usually have slightly-more-knowledgeable skippers....)

Its like guys trolling with a few lines out who think they can claim the "fishing" privilege. Uh, nope.

Be careful out there with the signals and signs you display folks - it does matter, especially if the very undesirable happens and someone runs into you.

It is also completely inappropriate to fly ALFA if you're diving from shore or otherwise not from a boat. It confers no protection or privilege for the divers themselves, only for a boat tending them.

The only comment I will make is that OSHA 29 CFR (commercial diving) requires the Alpha be flow when diving from shore in an area able to support marine traffic... The following is the exact text of the regulation.

1910.421(h)

Warning signal. When diving from surfaces other than vessels in areas capable of supporting marine traffic, a rigid replica of the international code flag "A" at least one meter in height shall be displayed at the dive location in a manner which allows all-round visibility, and shall be illuminated during night diving operations.

Jeff Lane

In some locations where float diving is common, charter operators have received specific instructions from the local Coast Guard station to fly the Alpha flag when they have divers in the water. In defense of this polocy, these operators frequently have to protect their divers by placing their boat between their divers and on coming boat traffic.

Aquamaniac,

"only an American would ask such a question"

Not true. While Americans are generally curious, there are curious folks found in countries all over the world.

Genesis once bubbled...
I'm simply amazed at the folks with commercial tickets (e.g. 100 Ton Master's) who get this wrong... (ask most skippers, including charter operators, if they have one on board and see how many blank stares you get back in reply!) Around here I can count the anchor balls I've seen displayed in the last couple of years on the fingers of one hand, and that includes sailboats (who usually have slightly-more-knowledgeable skippers....)
Yeah, some of 'em oughta just carry three day balls around with 'em all the time, too, and two red lights.
Rick :)

http://www.ymcascuba.org/ymcascub/currnt21.html tells the origin on the dive flag.

<snip>Did you know that a federal statute mandates use of the blue and white Alpha Flag for boat diving in the inland waters of the United States? The law, part of the "Inland Navigational Rules", is found at Title 33, Section ¤2027 of the official Code of the Laws of the United States, and is also spelled out in federal regulations and as rule 27 of the U.S. Coast Guard publication Navigation Rules: International/Inland. This federal law is one of the rules governing "vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to move." It specifies that a vessel engaged in underwater operations shall display a series of light and shapes. If that is impracticable due to the vessel's size, as is the case for most civilian watercraft, the boat should display "a rigid replica of the international code flag 'A' not less than one meter in height." As a practical matter, the Coast Guard has not objected to the use of smaller sized Alpha Flags, as long as the flag is easily visible. State laws requiring the Alpha Flag tend to be the same as the federal rule. If in doubt, follow the federal law on navigable waters.

A 10 minutes search on Yahoo! gave me these:

Deleware: http://www.boat-ed.com/de/handbook/dvflg.htm
Florida law: http://www.floridascubahound.com/dive_flag_laws.htm
Hawaii: http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dbor/pdf/draftrules_oceansafety.pdf
Massachusetts: http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/recreationalFishing/diverinfo.pdf
Minnesota: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide02.pdf
New Jersey: http://www.njscuba.net/refs_and_regs/regs_nj.html
North Carolina: http://www.ncwaterways.com/boating/regulations.htm
Ohio: http://www.ocssdi.org/legislation/flaglaw.htm
Utah: http://www.mermaidscuba.com/laws.html
Washington: http://www.cityofpoulsbo.com/Departments/Police/police-marinepatrol.html
Vermont: http://www.mallettsbay.com/mbmb/messages/7.html

Back
Top Bottom