International travel: Carry-on vs. Check-in baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Batteries are a funny issue, especially lithiums. US flights require them to be in carry on unless installed in the device. It's to avoid fires in the unmonitored cargo area. But other countries require them to go in checked baggage. Go figure. Know the rules for your flights.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting heavy items in the carryon is brilliant.. untill you get to the one gate where they actually weigh it.
I have hardcase checked bag(s) and a camera bag for carryon. Camera body and lanses, laptop and divecomputers goes there, the rest get checked. Regs dont fall apart in from being checked in with proper cases....

Edit: as to batteries, they only become an issue as "loose cells", in other words outside of the appliances. Just think of all the laptops and phones around, have you ever heard that you cant carry them on? Most, if not all of those are lithium...

I carryon any item I'd rather not rent if it didn't arrive with me. Weight has never been a problem so far...but size does matter.

Batteries installed in dive lights in checked bags are a no-no. Apparently they can turn on mid-flight and cause a fire.

"Diving lamps and other battery-operated extreme heat producing equipment in carry-on or checked baggage. Energy source or a heat producing component must be disconnected or removed"

This is a really good guide:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf

I carryon any item I'd rather not rent if it didn't arrive with me. Weight has never been a problem so far...but size does matter.

This entire discussion is based on the single word, "International".

There's a whole big world out there past our far-flung and mysterious Caribbean.

if you're changing planes and really going for a journey- most of the experienced folks travel as light as possible. Check all~ but prescription mask, computer, camera.

Regulators are bulletproof and don't have any theft value. If you're going to carry your camera gear in the cabin... why would you ever pack it in a Pelican case?

(steal this yellow box for maximum bennefit...)

(Well, at least the stickers didn't wind-up on the Vega)

Makes no sense whatsoever. They're heavy, protective overkill and offer poor capacity/internal volume.

Travel habits evolve with repetition. And yes, the next big push for airlines is weighing and sizing cabin baggage.

This entire discussion is based on the single word, "International"...//...

Since you quoted me I will respond.

I consider anything that requires trips through customs as "International." While I have never had the pleasure of a 12 hour flight, I have had trips that require multiple transfers. I still carry on "anything I'd rather not rent." For me, this means mask, reg set with computers, BPW and wetsuit at a minimum. Since all this together weights less than 15 pounds it has not yet posed a problem for me. Half the time I am not even asked to check my bag on the commuter transfer flights.

Since I have arrive without my gear, perhaps it affects my willingness to risk it again. I would rather skip the toothbrush and change of clothes then arrive at my dive destination without my gear.

Handluggage: Soft backpack. Prescription mask if you need one, camera in housing plus strobes, computer, dive computer, complete change of clothes, swimming costume, towel.
Checkin: Hard case (not expensive and slightly battered), regs in centre wrapped in clothes, wing, batteries, dive skin, string dive bag, roll of heavy duty bin bags, etc. I don't bother taking fins anymore as too heavy and cumbersome to pack.
No dive stickers or camera labels etc on anything.
One good idea I think I may implement is to paint my mobile phone number on the outside of the case.

If you're going to carry your camera gear in the cabin... why would you ever pack it in a Pelican case?

If it stayed in the cabin, maybe I would agree with you. But on at least 3 separate occasions, I have been forced to gate check the camera carrying Pelican case due to reasons beyond my control. (the bins are too small for that case [regulation size for everyone else!], we don't want anything over 15# in our overhead bins, yadda yadda ya) It seems that the asian airlines are particularly touchy about this, which is part of why I am flying Delta to the Philippines next week. Protective overkill? You betcha!:no:

Reactions: jbb
If you're going to carry your camera gear in the cabin... why would you ever pack it in a Pelican case?

(steal this yellow box for maximum bennefit...)

(Well, at least the stickers didn't wind-up on the Vega)

Makes no sense whatsoever. They're heavy, protective overkill and offer poor capacity/internal volume.

Travel habits evolve with repetition. And yes, the next big push for airlines is weighing and sizing cabin baggage.

The case isn't heavy at all, for the protection to weight ratio they are unbeatable. My Tundra cases acts as the organizer to my equipment and storage while offering an easy and safe way to transport it, and not to mention the ease of inspection if need be by TSA.

The alternative of carrying it all wrapped in towels in a grocery bag just doesn't appeal to me nor afford me any flexibility in regard to protecting it other than keeping it on my lap at all times in all circumstances.

If it stayed in the cabin, maybe I would agree with you. But on at least 3 separate occasions, I have been forced to gate check the camera carrying Pelican case due to reasons beyond my control. (the bins are too small for that case [regulation size for everyone else!], we don't want anything over 15# in our overhead bins, yadda yadda ya) It seems that the asian airlines are particularly touchy about this, which is part of why I am flying Delta to the Philippines next week. Protective overkill? You betcha!:no:
The REASON why they dont want more than a certain weight each item in the overhead bins may seem to be that they are greedy, but the overhead bins are infact rated for a certain total weight in case of "rough landings" and it may be better to just pay your luggage fee than be killed by your camera...

Back
Top Bottom