Into the Blue Movie Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what you say of the original, I will say that is very similar to the old movie but does has some differences...probably to make it its own I guess.

There is one Halcyon rig in the flick...much more to infuriate all things DIR. :05:

Saw the movie today. It's based on The Deep, with some differences to bring it up to date.

The movie was okay, not as bad as all the reviews in the news make it out to be. Jessica isn't bad to look at, but her acting (if you can call it that) has a lot to be desired. It's pretty obvious that the makers know that too because she really didn't have a lot of camera time. Paul Walker and Scott Caan were the primary players of the film.

The Deep was a lot better and a lot more believable. I realize people can free dive for a long time, but c'mon! They did push the limits quite a bit in this film.

The plot was pretty predictable, even without having seen The Deep.

One positive thing about it is that everyone was wearing BP/W set ups! I'm sure it wasn't for any other reason than to show off the bodies, though. :D

Not a bad movie, but The Deep and Bissett were definitely much better!

It also makes waiting for my liveaboard trip to the Bahamas next June much worse. I wanna go now!!!

I caught the debut last night too.
You can't ask too much of a flick like this, but I was pleased to see the great filming and fast paced action.

Plot? Who cares? Acting suffered too, but you can't have everything! It probably helps keep the realism out of the shark attacks... only bad people get eaten here.

Actually they mixed up the gear brands pretty well, but Oceanic, O'Neill, Rip Curl, Cressi-sub and Omer got featured the best. I also saw Mares, Poseidon, Halcyon, Scubapro, Riffe, and Zeagle. Unfortunatley we, (Zeagle), only rated as high as to clad Brice the trouble inspiring buddy, and also the bad guy who takes the bullseye shot from the Hawaiian sling.

The biggest disappointment was the Sept 30th opening instead of early summer. A costly mistake.

Secondly few to no good scenes of stunt double Mehgan Heaney-Grier doing any real freediving. I wish the actors had done a little spearfishing and more underwater photography too.

Overall I'd call it a beautiful underwater action film... and good for the sport!

Chad

Saw “Into the Blue” yesterday in Oahu. I’ve been weighting eight months to see it. Any movie or book about diving that tries to make a good film usually does in my book. The acting, diving, and atmosphere were great. John Stockwell, the director, always does a great job filming cool, hip, believable people. The breath holding sequences of which there are many are pretty ridiculous. I felt like I was watching an episode of Aquaman. Now time to do some real diving and wait for “Shadow Divers” directed by Ridley Scott. The claustrophobic scenes in the airplane started getting me ready for “SD”.

Robert Phillips:
But they are using Halcyon gear! :06:

That would explain some of the scenes I saw in the trailer of people breaking the surface gasping for air with no gear on.... :D

With inflators like that, who needs enemies... :14:

R..

Who cares if the movie is any good. I paid $10 bucks just to see Jessica Alba in a bikini for two hours and it was worth every dollar.

I saw Into the Blue today and thought it was pretty good. I'd have to give the edge to The Deep for acting. And there aren't any really great characters like Robert Shaw's in Into the Blue.

But for underwater cinematography Into the Blue wins hands down. It has some of the best I've seen.

As to who looks better in a swimsuit Jessica Alba or Jacqueline Bisset, I'm not sure. But I'm willing to spend many many hours in researching this vital subject. That's just the kind of dedicated guy I am.
Luke

That's what I thought too. Remake of The Deep.
But better scenery, gorgous women. Hell of a get away for a couple hours.

Michael

You were right the first time - it was Bermuda. And HumanFish was right about the timeless appeal of Jackie Bissett diving in that white T. Bought the DVD a couple of months ago - not a bad film, with some pretty good diving scenes, though it does have the requisite cutting of the reg hose and shark encounter that was standard in the old diving films.

As for the new film, I'm planning on seeing it today, so I'll try to post a brief review afterward. PADI is sure all over it, sponsoring promotions and this month putting a bikiini-clad Jessica Alba freediving on the cover of Undersea Journal. (Great/hilarious shot. Wonder where those bubbles behind her came from? Too much of that spicy ceviche, I guess... I love the photo editor of UJ!)

Dr.Bill, I'll be sure to take careful note of Jessica's diving in the film. For review purposes, of course...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom