Intova Supa Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about buying two of these lights for my video system. I have a question for those who have one. Is the battery compartment seperate from the actual light? Meaning... if the battery compartment floods is the entire light ruined or only the battery? Thank you.

I have one here that someone sent me after leaving the charging port open.
Battery is stuffed ( no real issue) LEDs are more than likely OK but these are easy to replace with better LEDs anyway BUT the driver / control board is toast and you cant replace it with anything except the original part.

Really, you can replace the LEDs with better LED's easily? I did not know you could do that. Can you get more LUMs out of your light that way? Is that a cheaper alternative to getting brighter video lights... instead of buying more expensive lights with more LUMS, buy a cheaper light like the intova super nova and then change out the LEDs to get more LUMs? If so, could you please direct me to where I can get better LED's that will fit an intova super nova. Thank you.

Battery compartment is not separate. They are great video lights. Wide angle beam and very bright. Do not use reduced power setting for video. The power reduction cause a cycling effect to appear on video screen. Use only at full power.

Battery compartment is not separate. They are great video lights. Wide angle beam and very bright. Do not use reduced power setting for video. The power reduction cause a cycling effect to appear on video screen. Use only at full power.

What do you mean by a "cycling effect?"

What do you mean by a "cycling effect?"

He's referring to the method of reducing the output. You can either simply reduce the output current or leave it at full current but briefly switch it on and off. You eye doesn't see that it's being switched on and off but it saves battery power and reduces the output.

Apparently video will catching the rapid switching on and off. It's called PWM or Pulse Width Modulation.

Really, you can replace the LEDs with better LED's easily? I did not know you could do that. Can you get more LUMs out of your light that way? Is that a cheaper alternative to getting brighter video lights... instead of buying more expensive lights with more LUMS, buy a cheaper light like the intova super nova and then change out the LEDs to get more LUMs? If so, could you please direct me to where I can get better LED's that will fit an intova super nova. Thank you.

Haven't seen what the inside looks like but P4's are probably mounted on a small board similar to one here:

Cutter Electronics

Since all of the XR-E's are the same dimensions with same voltage and current requirements (thus same power consumption) I could see how it could be an easy swap to change for a higher bin LED setup.

As long as the LEDs are mounted on a PCB with the same spacing config as in is the original you should be able to just unsolder some wires and solder in the new PCB and reassemble using same driver, same batts, same optics, same burn-time ... with brighter LEDs.

Some of the different colors for the XR-E's do have different max currents though, the P4 used is probably cool white. As example cool white has max recommended drive current of 1A, whereas the neutral white and warm white is 700mA.

As an idea, each P4 has a min flux @ 1A and 25 deg C of approx 180 lum and could be up to 196 lum. The Q5 has a min flux @ 1A and 25 deg C of approx 241 lum and could be up to 256 lum each per CREE's spec sheets. R2 is something like 256-274 lum.

So with three R2's it could produce something like 750 lum.

I'm sure color is important too, especially for video and to be honest I don't understand all of the color stuff for their LEDs, but each bin is available in different tints.

LEDs also avail at sites like kaidomain.com and dealextreme.com or bestofferbuy.com pretty cheap. Shipping and customer service may not be the best though, chinese companies...

Of course I've never seen the inside of this light or how it's setup but it really could be that simple.

I don't know why they don't use higher bin LEDs, I contacted Intova regarding one of their smaller lights and they said it used an XR-E Q3 which should be able to be easily swapped out for say an XR-E R2 and provide somewhere around 100lum more light.

I did that out of curiousity as I was reading up on CREE LEDs and found out Intova used CREE LEDs in their lights from a friend of mine that has one.

I still have that e-mail somewhere, I think at home.

I find myself really shying away from the higher-end lights, while they seem to have better construction than some other lights it seems pretty easy to modify some inexpensive lights to accept CREE LEDs and outperform lights that are significantly more expensive.

That does look like a sweet light though

Last edited:
I have two of these lights that the guys left the plugs out of.. I have figured out how to get the lens out and the bottom plug. I just haven't figured out how to get the leds out so i can get to the batteries...Any ideas

Post #18 was a mistake.. The former person forgot to log off of my computer..so there is only one person asking this question---Thanks for your help

I have two of these lights that the guys left the plugs out of.. I have figured out how to get the lens out and the bottom plug. I just haven't figured out how to get the leds out so i can get to the batteries...Any ideas

Anyone care to give a long term review of this item. I have been considering one for some time.
Also does anyone know if the recharging system is dual voltage? Will it accept and input of
110~240 Volts 50-60hz?
Thanks for any info!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom