Intro to Cave Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety and not pushing your limits is a good idea, but if you don't do any cave diving you won't be prepared for your full cave class.

Ben

hmmm... ok... then, how's about not going into the cave zone until such time as
i have the right equipment, then practice for a while, then take the next cave course?

cancun mark:
Hi Andy,

I believe the nss-cds standard (for single tanks) is in place to limit the extent of penetration of the intro to cave divers.

CDS found that intro to cave divers were among the highest risk among the cavern/cave diving community as "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", my advice is stay in the cavern, or go full cave.

I know this doesnt directly answer your initial question, but it applies to equipment as well, either you commit to having full cave gear, or stay out of the cave zone, this is not really something you can do gradually. (in parachuting it would be like saying, "I am only doing static line jumps, so I need no reserve")

I dont go anywhere near the cave or cavern without a set of doubles, but that is just my opinion.

Not bad advice but there is still a lot to be learned and the intro step isn't bad one, if you can stick to your limits. Actually, thats an important dive skill period.

When I did my cave training, I did the cavern and intro then waited 3-4 months before finishing the full cave. That gave me time to prepare and polish the skills I learned in the intro class. (I also had to get doubles and the rest of my equipment up to spec). It worked really well for me and my cave class was a joy to go through.

Mike

H2Andy:
i have the right equipment, then practice for a while, then take the next cave course?

Well, of course, but you can cave dive without a cannister light or doubles (for example), just stay within your training and you'll be good to go.

BTW... you never answered my question... do you have an LDS in Jax?

Ben

yes, i usually go to Diver's Supply (on Beach); i've done all my training (but for
cavern) with them.

joebrown:
We both received a (permanent) Intro cert. In addition, though, my buddy in doubles was also issued a "discretionary apprentice" cert, which is time-limited (his is for 90 days but can be renewed at the instructor's discretion). This allows him to do Intro-level cave dives in doubles, although he is limited to using 1/6 of his total gas for penetration.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Joe There is a difference in Apprentice and A discretionary Permit for use of doubles. Apprentice is a completely different cert level. 90 Days is about the norm

H2Andy:
H2Andy whatever you do I would suggest that you work your equipment in shallow open water before going into the overhead. Work the characteristics, trim and skills while wearing that equipment. Heck sit on the back of a trucks tailgate with your eyes closed and see how well you can remove and replace things and if your configuration is suited to your body's ability to move (things are easier in the water mind you). Get to know your equipment first.

GDI:
Joe There is a difference in Apprentice and A discretionary Permit for use of doubles. Apprentice is a completely different cert level. 90 Days is about the norm

I understand that difference, as Apprentice will my next step from Intro. "Discretionary apprentice" is how the instructor referred to what you've called the "discretionary permit". Same thing, but clearly separate from the Apprentice level. Not sure what the official NSS-CDS language is.

Joe

I'm about to head to FL for cavern and intro. I'm anticipating doing apprentice and cave in about a year. Right now, I'm going to rent an H-valve from my LDS and then if I enjoy cavern and intro (I imagine I will), I'll put together a set of doubles and spend a year getting comfortable with them in OW meanwhile diving at the cavern level with singles and a standard k valve. On the other hand, would it be possible for my intro instuctor to give me a 1/6th intro doubles permit once I'm comfortable with them to hold me over until I take apprentice/full cave? I'm really not interested in owning an H valve as it does seem like a kludge.

In my untrained opinion, the whole doubles/intro thing seems like a mistake on the part of the training agencies. No one would argue that an H valve is safer than a pair of doubles. I understand that they are worried about going past 1/6th on doubles at the intro level but I don't understand the concern. If it's considered *safe* to go in 1/3rd of a single tank and no complex navigation, why is it unsafe to use 1/3rd of doubles with no complex navigation? Is it just that there's twice as much time for something to go wrong? What if I just promise to do half the number of dives to compensate :bounce:

loosebits:
On the other hand, would it be possible for my intro instuctor to give me a 1/6th intro doubles permit once I'm comfortable with them to hold me over until I take apprentice/full cave?

Yes, your instructor can check you out in doubles at some point after you complete intro and at their discretion issue the temporary 1/6th intro doubles permit. As GDI pointed out, 90 days is the normal expiration for the permit, but it can be renewed, again at the instructor's discretion.

Joe

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom