Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm booked on the Carnival Ledgend out of Tampa on April 27. Wife is not in the best of health so I'll only dive 2 sites this trip. Diving in Hondouras and Grand Caymen. Dove in Belize and Cozumel twice already. Anyone else booked on this cruise. I would love to meet other SB members. I will hopefully be spending about a week in Cozumel later this summer.

Hi Frank:
I hope your wife is doing better soon. If no one from SB is booked on your cruise..try Cruise Critic - Cruises, Cruise Ship Reviews, Ratings, Cruise Deals, Cruise Forums
I check them out before every cruise and always meet up with some great people. Have fun!

Just what I was looking for! I just joined today hoping to find a forum like this. I have already gotten some good information and will hopefully be able to contribute some also in few weeks.

Live, Laugh & Love Life

I've heard some people say the dives booked through the ship in Belize and Roatan weren't crowded and others say they were really crowded. I wondering if it had anything to do with the time of year. I did book privately and expect small crowds, but I keep second guessing my Belize Seasports booking because of the hassel of tendering/walking to the dive shop. After walking alot on Tulum tour before the Belize tour, I should probably avoid unnecessary walking carrying heavy gear. At least we do get dropped back off at the ship. Oh well, I'm booked and they have a pretty restrictive refund policy unlike the ship, which is pretty reasonable.

Well I'm back and my trip went great. The crowds on my privately booked dives were small (only 4-8 divers), but the boats were tiny, so it's all relative. We did back roll off boats in Belize and Roatan. The walk to Seasports Belize wasn't that bad, but I do think next time I'll try the cruise's excursion in Belize for the convenience. It's quite a long tender ride and we cut it very close getting back from the dives in Belize. They kept assuring us we would be fine even though we got back to the tender dock 10 minutes late because there is always a long line to get back on the last tender. They were right but we were a bit nervous. Every diver I talked to that went with the ship's dive excursions were happy with their experience. Seasports did take good care of us. They packed a lunch and cold drinks, took us to an interesting tiny crab fishing island for surface interval. Very rustic. Only a few buildings, outhouse over the water, a friendly caretaker and a bunch of dogs on the island. Lots of pretty palm trees and water birds. We also had a couple of snorkelers with us to drop off/pickup before and after lunch. Without that diversion, we probably would have made it back with time to spare.

In Roatan with Subway Watersports, they picked us up at the dock and drove us about 40 minutes around to the north side of the island to Turquoise Bay resort, which is beautiful. The drive around the island was nice, because often when you dive from a cruise ship, you don't get to see the other sites. At least we got somewhat of an island tour on the way. The boat ride to the site was only 5 minutes. We got back to the dock with at least 30 minutes to spare, so I did some browsing at the souvenier area right off the ship.

Both operators carried our gear and changed it out between dives. Subway also cleaned the equipment after the dive. They only thing I didn't like about Subway was that they didn't offer us snacks or cold drinks on the surface interval. We went back to their dive shop at the resort to hang out since it was only 5 minutes to/from the reef but there wasn't even anything for sale. Bring your own. There were only 4 divers: 2 from the ship including me and 2 people staying at the resort. There was the leader, the boat captain and 2 dive cons in training diving with us.

All of the diving was guided, follow the leader style. Some people don't care for that, but as a solo diver, pairing up with people I don't know, I find comfort in staying near the dive master. Also he points out stuff that I might not have seen on my own.

I did sign up for a ship excursion dive in Grand Cayman which was with Don Foster. The operation seemed fine, but there were a lot of newbies and it was more crowded. Of course it was a bigger more comfortable boat with a head. But with more people trying to follow the leader, it gets very crowded underwater with newbies cutting you off, kicking you and running into you. Also I don't think they took us to the best parts of the reef since there were a lot of new divers (Wildlife Reef and Fantasy Reef).

Hi Pamawi, thanks for the info. I have taken yours and others advice and booked with a local LDS, Neptunes. They were recommended several time in some of the forums. Glad your dives went well, we leave out the 13th and I will tell my tale when we get back. Thanks, Neal

Appreciate the info on Subway. My whole family is going on Carnival Legend the first week of August and 4 of us are diving. I'll be sure to post a review afterwards but here's what we've got lined up:

Grand Cayman
shore dives with Eden Rock

Cozumel
private charter with Dive With Martin

Belize
this was tough but decided not to dive and do cave tubing with the family

Roatan
diving with Subway Watersports

Oh, and just to kick off the trip the right way, I'll be doing the Dive With Sharks at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa before the cruise. Should be fun!

Heading down in April on a cruise ship....would love advice on the best way to get a good dive in without killing ourselves to and from. Thanks!

Mbwilliamn, which cruise ship and ports are you doing? When you say to avoid killing yourself to and from, I assume you are talking about hauling your equipment, or are you concerned about the safety of the port. On my most recent cruise to Cozumel and Calica, I dove privately in Cozumel with Dive with Alison and with the ship in Calica for a cenote dive. I was the only one on these dives who hauled my own equipment and I'm seriously considering not doing that in the future.

There is often a long walk down the cruise ship pier to get to cabs or other transportation even when you are diving with the ship. Your heavy gear gets heavier on the return trip when it is wet. Also in a cruise ship cabin it can get crowded with your gear. It helps if you have a balcony, so you can rinse it in the shower and stick it out there to dry and not crowd or stink up the room.

Another issue, is if you want to shop or do anything else after your dive that you have this gigantic bag on your back. I felt like a bull in a china shop.

In. St. Thomas I picked an dive op that picks you up at the pier but I still had to walk past several ships down a very long pier. I'm ordering a rolling mesh duffel and hope that will be a good alternative to my mesh backpack gear bag.

One thing that can help is there are some ports (Cozumel) that have bicycle rickshaws that you can tip a couple of bucks to carry you and your stuff down those long piers.

The reason I take my gear is because I paid for it and feel like I need to use it, I know it's been well maintained and I'm comfortable with it, I like my air integrated computer and integrated air source in my inflator hose. For all these reasons, I may continue to bring my own gear even though it is a bit of a pain sometimes.

I found the rolling bag made a huge difference for me too. The equipment can be such a pain to carry both ways, & then again onto the ship.

Now I'm going even lighter.
I take only my fins, and my molded mouth piece.
Much lighter to say the least.

Some people take their regs too. Few take the BC. I used to take it all.

But, honestly I have never had a problem with rented equipment in Belize, Cayman, Coz, or Roatan. I have rented in all. Oh yes, also I rented in St. Thomas, and the Bahamas.

I'm leaving again in 28 days~~ and will rent again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom