iPhone Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you can believe Snopes like most of the "authorities" on the intardweb. My friend was part of the project that introduced the spacepen and was at the press conference when the Cosmonaut used the "pencil" quote.

Total bunk. I met Paul Fisher many times before his death. He was a fantastic person - a really nice guy. I can't stand when people repeat unsubstantiated balderdash about his invention. He personally spent over $1M developing that pen. NASA will confirm the story. Your friend worked at NASA? Send us his name and occupation - I'll be happy to corroborate his story. (I'm at NASA once a month). Snopes is 100% correct. And no, no cosmonaut ever made that "pencil" quote. Total BS.

nerdfight.png

posting on Facebook from UW would be cool :lol: pardon my :dork2: ishness

Can't wait until my phone contract is up and I can get out of the convoluted, obtuse mess that is Apple and their products. They can perpetuate their $$-intensive cult with other subjects, but I'm done. I consider myself reasonably tech-savvy, but I can find no reason to have to continue to decipher their mystical system(s).

I think what your looking at is the future of dive computers. while the future may not be an actual iphone, but computers with improved graphical user interfaces and improved connectivity options like blue tooth or wifi for sharing information.

The biggest problems I see with this is software stability, and limitations of the housing. We all know that anything that can open, from the battery compartment of your everyday dive computer, to a 2000 dollar DSLR housing run an increased chance of flooding over a "permanently" sealed system.

You'll notice that calculators don't crash, just like a dive computers don't crash. There is inherent stability in hardware that is designed for one purpose, to run one specific set of software functions. A system like a computer or smart phone that is designed to run multiple applications always runs the risk of overburdening the hardware, causing system bottlenecks, inconsistencies, and crashing.

I see this more as an interesting addition to diving, dive logging, and even as a BACKUP dive computer, but I would never trust a smart phone as a primary dive computer.

I think what your looking at is the future of dive computers. while the future may not be an actual iphone, but computers with improved graphical user interfaces and improved connectivity options like blue tooth or wifi for sharing information.

The biggest problems I see with this is software stability, and limitations of the housing. We all know that anything that can open, from the battery compartment of your everyday dive computer, to a 2000 dollar DSLR housing run an increased chance of flooding over a "permanently" sealed system.

You'll notice that calculators don't crash, just like a dive computers don't crash. There is inherent stability in hardware that is designed for one purpose, to run one specific set of software functions. A system like a computer or smart phone that is designed to run multiple applications always runs the risk of overburdening the hardware, causing system bottlenecks, inconsistencies, and crashing.

I see this more as an interesting addition to diving, dive logging, and even as a BACKUP dive computer, but I would never trust a smart phone as a primary dive computer.

Amen, I think the stability issue and the housing issues are key. What is more like than a phone becoming a dive computer is a computer taking on funtions of a phone. GPS, camera and emergency communication functions built around a the stable platform of a dive computer in a sealed housing, connected by blue tooth and recharged with an induction charger. I know I sound like a ludite saying using an i-phone isn't a good platform, but I think it is approaching the problem of integrating technology backwards. Start with the mission critical functions first and add to them. Dive computers are heading that direction any way. today you can get a dive computer that collects all sorts of useful data to eliminate extra gear: Depth gauges, compasses, HP hoses, thermometers GPS even get it all mounted on a head-up display with a camera on your forehead. The tech is heading in that direction. I would rather have a dive computer that has a crappy camera than a camera with a crappy dive computer. That is not to say that the i-phone/i-gill system doesn't work, it might work fine. I just feel that I would rather put my trust in a Dive computer that minimized the likelyhood of software conflicts, condensation, housing leaks and other problems with it being a dive computer as an add on utility rather than as a primary funtion.

Interesting, but I'd want a separate cell phone on dry land in case of an emergency. So the argument that we get to use the phone we already have to do more stuff doesn't ring true for me.

One of the reasons I enjoy diving is that I leave my phone behind. I can check in with my family during SIs. I'm doing my dive log on my iPad. No way would I take my phone underwater. Then there's the fact that I just ditched my iPhone 4S in favor of an Android phone.

Other than that, I just love buying new toys. Being that I'm a new diver, I have such a great reason to buy all my nice, new "essentials."

Is this DIR compliant? (LOL)

Nifty seeming idea, horrible unpredictable safety, would not use. The fact that the iPhone multitasks is enough to keep me away from this. In a purpose built computer, you have purpose built hardware controlled by software that is running in a controlled environment, that is largely predicable (but not always!). The iPhone, although heavily POLICED by Apple, is hardly a controlled environment. If Apple were to decide to hardware embed a dive computer into the solution, it MIGHT make it slightly safer, however on second thought I have had the phone app trash memory so badly that the entire device had to be restarted in order to gain control. Rebooting during a dive? Sounds like fun! The software developer of a dive computer can predict pretty certainly what is running in memory, what has access to critical areas of the environment (Ring 0 for instance) and how to recover their app from failures. An iPhone based app has none of these luxuries. If you dive a computer, you are relying on it for your safety. You can verbally profess to be able to switch to tables mid dive, but reality is you will be aborting a dive. Do that enough and you could have bought a really nice computer. What would your reaction be if your dive computer locked up on you mid-dive? Have you ever thought beyond your nose about this? I have had to, after having a PURPOSE built tech computer die on me during a long deco. In my case I had all the typical backups to deal with this situation, but again a typical rec diver does not carry paper tables, much less the ability to calculate an NDL on the fly AFTER a dive has commenced. Get this to work the GPS, and I would definitely carry it as a secondary nav device, LOL. To answer someones question regarding the iPhones compass, the iPhone has a very cheap compass chip in it. Stick with a Suunto compass. I have tested all sorts of electronic compass solutions and any that are in the average consumer price range have terrible resolution, and limited usefulness for navigation. I am all for new technology, innovation to the sport, and leveraging technology to improve the fun/safety of Scuba. Granted the thing only goes to 100' of water, but that is way deep enough to get yourself into serious trouble if your computer malfunctions and you are unsure of how to handle the situation. This can even happen with a purpose built dive computer, but its a lot less likely to happen. This product goes directly against my philosophy of safety through risk reduction. KISS wins every time. Not to mention I dont want to have to set this thing up and tear it down before and after every dive. Not to mention having 500 soft buttons at 100' with narc creeping over you. I could go on because the longer I sit and type the more holes I am shooting in this thing, but its not necessary. As badly as I would like to see something like this be feasible, I just dont see it. I would not dive this device, would not ever dive with someone using this device, and would not allow a diver off the side of my boat knowing they intended to use this as their primary computer. Using an iPhone as a dive camera? Better hope you have some REAL POWERFUL lights, or be very shallow.

Dont get me wrong I REALLY hope this works out for the guys that are manufacturing this device, and I am sure that they have come up with clever ways to overcome many of the limitations of this type of a setup, and I wish you the best of luck. I see a safety issue here and dont mind saying so. Its up to the individual to decide how safe they feel diving with ANY product, or for that matter their own brain.

I took a look at the app, with the limited amount of settings that were visible to me without actually owning the hardware, it looks VERY simplistic. Almost no settings for ANYTHING? Want to dive Nitrox below 32%?? You are done. All of the gas setting are fixed eg: 32% 36% 40%. makes me wonder how many actual divers they actually had involved during the development. The fact that they tell you to close all apps, and manually put the device in airplane mode when you hit the dive button is a little disconcerting as well. I guess its good that they at least remind you to do this? These are all MANUAL activities. More room for errors. Besides, this is not the sort of thing I want to be focused on pre-dive.

I guess in the end with such a simplistic app, I am finally left with one huge question in my mind - WHY?? If they were somehow leveraging a functionality or a unique capability of the iPhone, then MAYBE - however we already have perfectly great working solutions that do everything this claims to, and do it better. If it aint broke, dont break it!

Wonder who will cover the liability of a company producing such a device? How will the manufacturer afford this liability insurance? I mean these are not DVD players. Your not going to sell millions of them.

As far as the Fischer pen is concerned, I have owned one for about 20 years, love it. Best pen I have ever owned. They are not just good for for astronauts, you know! You know you can write with the pen in any direction even upside-down, however I suspect in the long term they would not be good for diving either! Talk to your buddy Fischer's family, we may have just discovered a new product/market for them.

Lastly, heres some interesting info to geek out over the 9dof and the AKM compass chip
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...e-degrees-of-freedom-sensing-in-the-iphone-4/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom