irresponsible operator or unnecessary info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a caveat, I had my achilles tendon removed and replaced since a bone spur had penetrated it. The doctor had prescribed physical terrorism but I avoided it and dove instead. It was the first time he had witnessed no atrophy. When I popped the other side a year later, he prescribed diving after surgery. I knew my limits and stuck to boats on flat or near flat seas. You are the best advocate for your well being.

Thanks Netdoc - that's what I had done, thought it sounds like mine was a little less "optional" than yours! I originally tore my Achilles in prison, and have now had four surgeries on it - I really don't want any more.
You, Black Sea and everyone else have not only nailed it, but provided some great advice and insights to what I need to do and what I need to tell the operator.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to all!
Kevin

Just looking at it from another perspective........Get the signed release from your doctor and carry it, just in case.

I have asthma (since childhood) yet have been diving since 1980. Every year, I get pulmonary function tests and a signed release from my doctor. I carry this with me, just in case I'm asked. I don't volunteer anything.....why????? Because if I have to tell you I have asthma it's because I'm wheezing or "tight" and SHOULDNT BE DIVING!!

The pulmonary function test is just a snapshot for that particular day/time. ANYTHING can decrease it, illness, cold air, allergies, stress, etc. I am in the medical field and monitor myself (and yes, I've called dives when I didn't "feel right").

IF, not when, I was given a liability release (with all the questions), I answered truthfully and produced my release. If the question was, "do you have any condition that would prevent you from diving safely??" I answered no and kept diving.

My point - carry the release with you....just in case......but realize that on any given day, any given time, any given dive.....you may need to call the dive.....:cool2:

Where I Dive you simply sign a release that you have current Insurance for the dives you will do, mine says to the extent of my training worldwide and is an annual policy.

I had rotator cuff and bicep surgery late last spring. After a few months of stuck at the house I went diving. The activity in the water was just what I needed. It has been a long process but diving was a successful part of my recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom