Irvine resigns thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonnythan once bubbled...
Where were you when I was the only person who cared about copyrights a few weeks back with that Seajay discussion? :p

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Must have missed that one. :rolleyes: Got a link?

He MIGHT post a link, but it would violate copyright and crossposting laws. :rolleyes:

Yes, the "el flamo" fish is propagating :)

Respectfully, you said: "There is no copyright law on the internet as of yet."

I beg to differ. And it's enforcable and I'm speaking from first hand knowledge and direct experience :)

We cal it "DMCA" and you should point your attorney to:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/dmca.pdf

Typically used for:

Money Judgements against those that stole images, text, and other content

Termination of Hosting (Sometimes within hours with proper documentation) for those that stole stuff

Removal from Google ( takes longer but has serious financial consequences for many sites trying to make money)

Terminantion of hosting for "hot linking"

HTH

SeaJay once bubbled...

Northeastwrecks and Jonnythan...you guys definitely need a course in copyright law.

Oh and you think you're qualified to give it to them?! :wink:

Thanks, SeaJay, for your "thoughts".

However, as I've told you before, length doesn't equal content.

You're simply incorrect. Read Title 17 of the United States Code and show me where it says that items posted on the Internet are in the public domain. You won't find it.

Moreover, I wasn't talking about the link. I was talking about the cross-post itself and Mr. Painter's rather ridiculous suggestion that works pass into the public domain merely because they are posted on the Internet. That's a very common misperception among people who don't know what they are talking about.

As for who enforces it, well, for the right amount of money, I do. I'm an intellectual property litigator. We handle patent, trademark and copyright infringement, among other things.

You're also mistaken regarding the Constitution. The First Amendment protects people from speech restrictions from the Government, not from the owners of copyright.

Last, I'm not trying to play G-d. I'm simply discussing an incorrect statement of law.

SeaJay once bubbled...
4. When an author puts a message into a public forum, it becomes public domain. Copyright law no longer applies.

Uh... hmm... since when was the WKPP team list "a public forum"?

chrpai once bubbled...

Can't defend your position so back to insulting... I hope thats not how you are in the courtroom.

Did somebody say...

AD HOMINEM???

chrpai once bubbled...
Man, usually your much faster to stalk me and criticize me.

I'll try harder. Or you could take that as a sign that I'm *not* stalking you. Your choice.

The message is in the public domain now. What is so bad about providing a link?
I doubt it was the authors intention for it be so. As such the responsible and polite thing would have been not to draw attention to it -- especially since someone was trying to contact the author for permission.

Most organizations are smarter about spinning the media with press releases. If an organization doesn't do that, then they really can't expect to have control over the message.

It wasn't a press release. It was a message to a private mailing list. Your attempts to it acquaint to a press release are rather silly.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Pffttt... I'm with you on that.

'Specially you, NEwrecks. Nobody made you "king." ...And while you're at it, you need to be a lot nicer to people. Some of the things you say really make you look like a jerk.

He obviously thinks he's King. Probably has something to do with that post where King Neptune thanks people for giving him money.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Thanks, SeaJay, for your "thoughts".

Moreover, I wasn't talking about the link. I was talking about the cross-post itself and Mr. Painter's rather ridiculous suggestion that works pass into the public domain merely because they are posted on the Internet. That's a very common misperception among people who don't know what they are talking about.

The message was posted to Yahoo! Groups. I suggest you read their TOS that the auther agreed to as to copyright. I'll give you a hint, the author does not have copyright.

Either way I was NOT the one who posted it to newsgroups. All I did was to post a link. Last time I checked, URL's are not copyrightable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom