Is a normal to have a buddy on a divemaster-led dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For our shore diving group here, we are asked to buddy up before heading in - though some define buddy more loosely than others.
We do stay mostly together as a group, but the guide is clear that he can't be responsible for everyone (sometimes there are 15 or 20 of us)

When we were in Palau, the solo divers were paired up within each group by the guide before we left the boat.
Good thing, because the guides get pretty caught up with looking for critters and don't look back at the group much.

I really dislike InstaBuddies as a rule, but better to buddy up than to hope "someone" would see you having a problem, imo.

Jim --I'm not atacking you but I must question your logic.
If you aren't familiar with the dive site isn't it always best to make use of local knowledge on the first dive of the day? Ie follow a local guide?

Again I'm not out to try to trip you up here I'm just trying to understand

As I read Jim's post he was saying that he would consult the local DM, and collect the info needed to dive the site, listening to the local's wisdom and experience, but that he would rather not follow said "tour guide".

I wish I had friends who dove. Alas, I don't though I am beginning to make friends with people from my LDS. So...I travel to places alone. I've found a number of places that do promote partnering up with a buddy, however, many do not. Aside from the last dive shop I mentioned where I did not feel safe, these dive shops come highly recommended. They do focus on safety, however, they just don't seem to always push the buddy system.

I thought perhaps the buddy system on divemaster-led dives was not often used, but I'm happy to see from your comments that this is not true. Therefore, I will have more confidence when asking to buddy up with someone. If they give me a weird look, that just means they are not the right buddy for me.

I love Scubaboard & appreciate all of your mentoring (both in answering my questions and by posting your own questions/comments in different forums). Thank you for helping to make me a better diver.

-Beth

I will listen to the briefing. I will insist on a thorough breifing. But to follow a local guide is something I will only do if I want to see something specific. If I do not know the area I'd rather make a conservative plan on my own based on a thorugh briefing and evaluation of site conditions by me. Unless it was someone I knew from here or from past diving experience I am not trusting someone to lead me around. I did not know the area around Palmas or Fajardo in Puerto Rico. I had a student with me that I knew. The DM on the boat did not know him. So I made the plan we would follow and the DM took the rest of the group on the plan they decided on. I usually swim very slow and like to take my time. Many times DM's or guides don't swim as slowly as I do. I will only go their pace if it is the same as mine. Unless there are ripping currents or hazards that require the use of a guide I do not need or want one. If there are those factors in play I am likely to just call the dive.

Pretty much all of my dives have been 'buddyless.'

While diving in SE Asia, if I didn't have my own dive buddy in advance of a dive, I've been paired up with someone before the dive via the DM but I don't recall ever actually diving with these people; more like diving in one big group. Had I a problem u/w, I'd most likely go to the DM before an instabuddy. At least with the DM, I'd hope they'd have more experience with sticky situations in case things went south.

When diving in Florida, I've mainly done boat dives where people stuck in a group and followed the DM. I don't recall dive buddies ever being assigned; probably because most people showed up with a buddy. Regardless, I keep my eye on the DM just in case.

Considering the frequency of this, I'm (almost) surprised that it's never discussed in class. I never thought I'd be buddyless to the extent that I have been while diving, but sometimes there's not much choice.

So far we have had to buddy up on every dive. All dives have been led by a dm or instructor. On the charters, the dm made sure everyone had a buddy and if not they were assigned one.

What I would point out is that 'allocating buddies' is not the same as 'ensuring the buddy system is followed'.

As a dive guide,(PADI DM#198123) I interview all my clients and have questionaires included on their liability forms. This takes 'most' of the guess work out of who to buddy with whom or who needs special attention. Number of dives,level of certification,last time diving, and any medical alerts/phobias; are very important pieces information for a safe & fun dive. IMPO a 'dive guide" is a dive master or instructor who does not teach but leads a good safe dive by example. I 'dive guide' for a living,it is not a certification,it is just an great occupation.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

When drift diving in south florida if there is no guide they will group up divers in groups of
three or four and give a flag to each group. Sometimes a few friends will decide they are in one
group and may or may not be interested in a larger group at which time any remaining divers will be put
in one group or another. This system works best but involves the captain keeping track of more dive
flags. While the group dives with maybe one or two seperate groups may seem easier at first but when you
have divers popping up all over the ocean unprepared for their own ascents you have to wonder about this
system. In my opinion four groups of four is by far safer than two groups of eight . In Florida on a guide led
dive very few divers take the initiative to buddy up which I think is a huge mistake.

Well...
I'm in SE Florida. Never had an OP insist on my diving with a buddy. Fact is, I won't have it. If I am a paying customer, I'll dive. Granted I might hang around the DM.

However, I'm in Andy's court. Don't dive beyond the threshold of your training.

I'm out Hawaii. On the 12/13 boats I've worked off of or dove off of as a visitor, I can't recall ever having an op assign or request buddies. It's all been a group buddy system, keep within sight of the DM and head the same direction. It's probably a good idea that if you're used to diving with someone with you at the time that you unofficially buddy up. Keep in mind, the diving I've done out here is easy, currents are light if present at all. If there are conditions that might lead to separations, a buddy is really a very good idea.

The boat diving off California I've done they made sure people had buddies, but on that boat the DM was essentially a body retreiver, didn't even get in the water unless someone was in trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom