Is a SCR or CCR right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Explorer is SCR and unfortunately can be a pain when the electronics are not cooperating (which is also true for the Poseidon). It will not fit in a standard roller carry-on unlike a lot of other rebreathers (Pathfinder, rEvo micro,...).

I dive my units with 2L carbon fiber tanks and when we were in Cocos, slung one of those CF's as our bail-out as we were not doing any deco dives there. The Kiss Orca is a nice unit, as well. It is competitively priced compared to the Explorer, yet is full CCR. Your bail-out will function as your diluent which makes it even lighter. Jess, our friend, was diving his in Cocos.

Feel free to call Add Helium, the rebreather epicenter at 239-300-0913. These guys do rebreathers full-time and should also be able to give you valuable insights and information.

note Dreamdive is Claudia Roussos who also works at Add Helium as their physician....

She knows what she's talking about though, especially as an Explorer instructor, that should say a few things about the finicky electronics to you. Give a buzz to AH though, they sell most of the units so can advise you a bit better as they work with them.

note Dreamdive is Claudia Roussos who also works at Add Helium as their physician....

She knows what she's talking about though, especially as an Explorer instructor, that should say a few things about the finicky electronics to you. Give a buzz to AH though, they sell most of the units so can advise you a bit better as they work with them.

Thank you tbone :) May I just add that I "work" pro bono with AH and hope to bring something positive to the community. I like AH's approach - they try to represent an unbiased view and see the value in researching facts rather than repeating mantra.

I'm not a doctor, instructor or a shop employee, and here's what I know to be FACT; I've NEVER experienced any problems/issues with the Explorer electronics, let alone any component of the unit. I dive it all the time.

If your reason for switching to a RB is to avoid weight, I think you're going to be a bit disappointed. Now you've got the unit, a bottom bailout tank, and the same deco bottle you had before.

If you are diving doubles (sounds like you are in the form of SM), you're just trading in one of those tanks for a rebreather and all its associated accoutrements, while adding risk (hypercapnia, hypoxia, maybe hyperoxia depending on the unit) and complexity.

Thank you tbone :) May I just add that I "work" pro bono with AH and hope to bring something positive to the community. I like AH's approach - they try to represent an unbiased view and see the value in researching facts rather than repeating mantra.

ahh, didn't know if you were on payroll or not, doesn't particularly matter but when people are associated with shops and recommend them without the disclaimer it disgruntles some...

Al the reasons you're quoting fit the LTE (Orca) unit. Very light but you can do full deco if you want. I've had it down to 186' so far.

Heres a few in water pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
imagejpeg

imagejpeg

I'll be the voice of dissent here. SCR is a valid approach and can work well, although I personally think the Explorer is a piece of junk that is overly complex for the purpose. The Kiss GEM is a better, simpler, less expensive alternative. CCR is certainly more functional, but has its own drawbacks in complexity and cost. For example, boosted O2 is not always available, but nitrox usually is. You can monitor deco on SCR just like on OC by cutting a few points off the fO2. It tends to drop about 5% shallow or 2% at 100 feet. That's the only justification I can come up with for tbone's comment about more deco with SCR than OC. CCR will reduce deco and provide the ultimate in quiet diving. SCR will extend your gas supply. Take your pick. And if you're interested in a GEM, let me know. I'll make you a great deal on one barely used.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Last edited:
Ken, only reason I brought up the deco was because he mentioned loathing long deco stops which means he's trying to shorten them not extend them. For hour long dives at 100ft it may be inconsequential compared to OC, but CCR will be much shorter unless you're diving square profiles with your actual "best mix", which almost never happens.

It's not that im trying to shorten them, it's just that in order for me to get the really long stops which I'm not happy with I need huge tanks, which I don't want to carry. I want to be able to do the long dives with the least amount of complexity and as efficiently as possible.

If I can take a 40cf bottle and an 80 bailout and do the dives I wanna do with out the added complexity and risk with a full CCR that to me seems the most efficient but I don't know any better. So that's why I'm asking yall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom