Is a SCR or CCR right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had 2 rebreather divers on board too. Both had a bottom time of 67 mins. Just playing around with numbers and v-planner, in order for me to do a 67 min bt I would have to carry up to 2 130s and 2 al 80 stages (assuming a loss of all my deco gas) or make a direct assent depending on the contingency plan and what not. On a rebreather, with a direct assent its a 40 of 100% and a 40 of bottom mix to do the same dive or an 80 to return to the anchor line.

That's the point i'm making. Can I SM 130s and drop stages as I go, sure. But there seems to me a more efficient way of doing the dive I want. HP 100s are the perfect SM tank for me. They are really the biggest I want to go.

So my next immediate goal is 170ft. I need to be trimix certified for that dive. The chances of actually making it out on the wreck on the day planned is 50/50 (as always). On OC that means I have a very expensive mix in my tanks that will probably not get used on the right wreck or I'll be diving a $300 mix on a 100ft dive, which just pisses me off. With a rebreather (SCR or CCR) it doesn't matter.

Does this make sense? Are my numbers totally off or is my bailout plans too conservative or not enough?

---------- Post added July 24th, 2015 at 08:48 AM ----------

I should also add, I'm not 100% sold on doing two very long divesand that's why I usually don't just bring an extra set of 100s with me.

If you're planning on doing epic deeper dives and plenty of them - I would opt for CCR. The plenty part refers to the cost of gas you will save over time. However, much like the Prius vs. high mileage gas engine car - does the cost of a more efficient unit (and inherent safety) outweigh the higher cost of a CCR (initial), additional training and longer term use.

I have used all manner of CCR over the past twenty + years starting with the CIS Lunar, Meg, Kiss, Prism. LAR etc. and now I am back on OC for the piddly dives I tend to do nowadays. For research, commercial and epic deeper dives and serious exploration I would not hesitate to get a CCR. If I am a recreational diver (not doing serious work, or on a extended project) on NE local quasi-deeper dives which get blown out with regularity I might just go OC and do away with the hassle of CCR. And I certainly understand the crap feeling when you lay out $$$$ for mix and not getting a chance to use it.
Also, CCR is not the magic bullet. On some of the deeper stuff I often took a redundant CCR because sometimes these things go funny and when money is on line you can't screw yourself, or the client out of the dive.

So in ending - some of my best dives on the Arundo, Resor, San Diego, Oregon were on OC. Cleaning afterwards was easy. I used CCR and scooter on U WHO, Doria, & Oil Wreck, Texas Tower. Some of those were film jobs where I needed max bottom time.

Just an update to the thread...

I ended up buying a second hand Meg with older electronics. I start my course in two weeks down in Florida!

Back
Top Bottom