Is AOW necessary?

Should Advanced Open water be required?

• Yes

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Not if a diver can prove sufficient experience

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • An ''Evaluation'' type course should be offered that could award the AOW Cert

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other, please explain below

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to dive greater than 18meters on a charter/live aboard or the like it is required.

Not necessarily ... there's always that "or equivalent experience" clause ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

just did my certification aow. it was an opportunity to do 5 dives with an experience diver. necessary ...no. but I did experience a blow out which could of been fatal on my tank and luckily had a trained professional there to help me. I also learned that I'm not really comfortable go deep yet. it's really all about the instructor.

Required for what?

Considering all the postings on the forum about 'dumbing down' diver training, and lax 'cert. card factory' instructors turning out inept OW divers, and 'zero to hero' scenarios where people go from OW to Instructor rather fast, do you really want to ditch one of the requirements for upper level training (particularly Dive Master) by letting those same instructors make a judgment call about a person's established competency?

I doubt it's necessary in the strictest since; there are seasoned OW divers who can out-dive some instructors, I'd imagine. That said, perhaps it's a needful requirement anyway?

Richard.

Required for what?
To practice law in the great state of Arkansas. :wink:

Actually, that was my reaction to the title too, but the OP did clarify:

Do you think that the Advanced Open water course is necessary as a pre-requisite to additional courses? (IE rescue, MSD, DM)

I am not against the idea of taking a good AOW course. My original certification course included more than most do today, however, and the typical AOW course did not seem to offer much to me. Especially hundreds of dives later. And I get such little time to dive that I am reluctant to spend it in a course. My instructor waived the prerequisites for Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, and my impression is that most will be reasonable if their agency gives them the latitude.

Required for what?

Required for users to read the OP's post as well as the survey question!
:shocked2:

For the 46 years of diving before I certified AOW, I need not have bothered, except for another adjenda which is irrevelent to the topic. So far for me, no dive op has been interested in any thing other than OW certification which no one has actually looked at. It now may have to do with me diving longer than most of the proffessionals involved have been alive, or my gear looks togather and used. Unfortunatly the new divers will have to contend with more crap; Welcome to the new world.

From my understanding, I am not a dive proffessional, you can take the PADI Rescue diver without AOW with sufficient experience. Since most new divers are in the training pipeline, it's a mute point.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

All of these points are fair enough.

But in the end, when you travel, and dive at different sites, areas, countries and of course dive centres, it does give a little reference to the people who take you out, and have no idea of your quality or experience in diving. A log book is great for this too, when people remember them. Having an AOW card with you will allow you access to the deeper sites, if that’s where you want to go, rather than having to convince someone you are experienced enough.

When you stay in one area, and everyone knows you, no worries!

I am well aware of OW, or even non-certified people who are better than most others u/w. They are not involved in the old certification card race, and just want to go diving!

In the end, the way divers talk gives alot away about their views of diving, and capabilities. More often than not it is the humble, quiet, smiling, friendly people who are the terrific divers while the loud mouths telling tall tales seem to struggle with their gear, buoyancy, etc.....

But back to the question at hand: I have always thought a rescue course of some kind should be able to be taken by an OW diver. No need to dive to 30M to have knowledge on how to rescue others/yourself!

I suspect that for every operator that things, "oh, good ... AOW" there's another operator who thinks, "oh, god ... AOW." What a difference an "o" makes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom