Is it a bad thing not to have disposable weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For tropical diving I don't use any ditchable weight, SS BP is enough to keep me down in a 3mm shorty with either singles or doubles/stages

I guess at the end of the day, for that extra safety margin, I should be looking at a thicker wetsuit, say up to 5mm for depths of around 30 metres on average?

The general question here is "Can I get buoyant in an emergency? Especially if that emergency involves a BC failure?"
One solution is to have ditchable weights, but that is not the only solution...
*Never* depend on a wetsuit as part of your basic buoyancy equation - its buoyancy varies with depth and it doesn't take a whole lot of depth for its buoyancy to evaporate entirely.
So... where does that leave us?
If we're negative without any weight at the surface, then a BC failure would mean we're negative regardless of depth, and as we have nothing to ditch, we need some other way to get positive.
Some options are:
Dry suit
Orally inflatable snorkel vest or "May West" (there are models that can be carried in a pocket)
SMB or Lift Bag - these aren't complete without a little more thought to what we're going to do once we reach the surface, as either will quit lifting the diver some five or six feet short of the surface. We need to not only be able to swim up those last few feet but to be positive *on* the surface while getting to the boat or shore. My personal solution to this problem is to clip my rig off to the lift bag/SMB and leave it below while I swim up (remembering to take my time and exhale - or, here's a case for a seven foot hose on your primary, eh?) and float on the surface. If you're a "sinker" even without your rig than you might want to consider wearing or carrying a snorkel vest. (Some SMB's and Lift Bags don't have an open vent and could be used to support a diver on the surface)
Bottom line, it's wise to have redundant buoyancy. That can be ditchable weight or a secondary lift device.
:)
Rick

Last edited:
I guess at the end of the day, for that extra safety margin, I should be looking at a thicker wetsuit, say up to 5mm for depths of around 30 metres on average?

No

Thicker wetsuit = more buoyancy = more weight needed

So if you don't have ditchable weight, you're potentially in a worse situation than with a thinner wetsuit (all other things being equal)

As Rick mentioned above, as you descend your wetsuit will compress, losing buoyancy and leaving you more negative should you have a BCD failure = harder to swim up

So the answer is either to have 'balanced rig' which you can swim up from depth (in the veent of BC failure), or redundant buoyancy of some form (drysuit, SMB, lift bag or the 'dreaded' dual wing). Not a thicker wetsuit, whcih will only help once you're back on the surface and/or have ditched your rig/weights

One way to test your balanced rig is to empty your BCD completely at max depth and tanks full. Are you able to swim up? If you are, there is less need for any discardable weight. And, you have a total of four options ascending: fill your BCD, fill your dry suit, fill your SMB, or, swim up.

In the past three years I have been diving with no lead, just a BP plus twin tanks. This works fine with a thin dry suit with a Weezle undersuit (for cold waters) or just a dry suit with swimming trunks and a T-shirt (warmer waters) underneath. However, after a cave course with tanks sucked almost empty, I learned to add 2-3kg as a V-weight between the tanks and back plate for added security and convenience as well. In a cave there might be situations where you cannot fully vent your dry suit and lead becomes very welcome.

I am still without any discardable weight. In a serious situation I would drop my slightly negative camera, canister light, and/or backup lamps. On the surface I would consider getting out of my BM kit, fully inflating my dry suit (like a Michelin man) and letting the BM kit go, or, disassembling the wing from the kit for additional surface buoyancy without the tanks and back plate.

Back
Top Bottom