Is it a bad thing not to have disposable weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm negatively buoyant in freshwater (need a few short pumps at 1 metre to be neutral) and neutral in seawater with my current setup which is a Scubapro aluminium backplate with a 30lb wing.

In sidemount configuration, I go down nicely without weights and stay down nicely even when the two AL80s are at slightly below 50 bar and floaty as hell.

At a rough guess, when I move on to doubles, if I were to use a stainless steel backplate, the weight of the manifold, two bands and the backplate will be enough to get me down and keep me there even when the two are totally empty.

With that said, assuming that trim's not an issue, will I be at a disadvantage to those who have disposable weights to drop in an emergency?

That really depends on the exposure protection you are wearing, and the resultant swing in buoyancy. The two biggest items are the suit and the tanks, so you are only looking at half of the equation.

Are you diving in shorts or something? I find it amazing that you can stay down at 3m with empty tanks without any kind of weight.
You should also search for the term "balanced rig".

The important thing about being able to drop weights is what Oz Griffo alluded to. You need to be able to swim up from depth without alot of difficulty, with no air in your wing/bc. This would be simulating a failure in your wing. The reason that you would want to drop weight is to be able to do this.

Being able to swim up isn't good enough, you need to be able to stay floating once get to surface.

I am surprised too at which OP don't need any weight with AL plate and empty AL80 tank. What kinds of exposure suit?

1mm Tilos Metalite full suit. Hitting the gym on alternate weekdays does help to keep overall bodyfat down although I don't diet and still have some subq fat in the belly.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

Anyway, ever since I started working out religiously for the past 2 years, I noticed that I've gotten quite negatively buoyant in freshwater. I used to be able to tread water comfortably for long periods. Now I feel that I need to exert some effort with both hands and feet to keep my head above the water. Although I can swim, I know that I might have to ditch everything should the bladder fail and I don't feel on top of the world that day.

I have a friend that uses no added weight when diving in warm water in a 3 mil shorty. No disadvantage at all that I can see. No weight to ditch in an emergency (like a down current) can be offset with good swimming skills and use of bcd appropriately. Pretty much everyone I know would love to be in you position- the less added weight the better.
DivemasterDennis

1mm Tilos Metalite full suit. Hitting the gym on alternate weekdays does help to keep overall bodyfat down although I don't diet and still have some subq fat in the belly.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

Anyway, ever since I started working out religiously for the past 2 years, I noticed that I've gotten quite negatively buoyant in freshwater. I used to be able to tread water comfortably for long periods. Now I feel that I need to exert some effort with both hands and feet to keep my head above the water. Although I can swim, I know that I might have to ditch everything should the bladder fail and I don't feel on top of the world that day.

Sounds like you might need to carry something additionally for sure, in case you have to ditch your gear on a wing failure. Mouth inflatable SMB (always) , and a snorkel vest. You could always opt for a double bladder wing or a closed end lift bag, that would save your gear.

Have the same issue. In a 3 mil, I could dive with no weights is all water. I do carry 4 lbs on my tank band, solely for trim purposes. With a nearly empty AL80, I still need a good amount of air in my Bc to be neutrally bouyancy. My only concern with this, as mentioned above, is a failure of my BC, whether flood, inflator failure, etc. as a consequence, I always carry a small SMb for emergency signalling and a large SMB that can be looped to act as a surface flotation device. I can swim my gear up, no problems, so the need for continued surface flotation is my only concern.

projen do you eat lead for dinner or something? --ahh hang on you aren't in a wetsuit.

projen do you eat lead for dinner or something? --ahh hang on you aren't in a wetsuit.

I'm still rather negatively buoyant in a 2.5mm shorty although I'll probably need a pound or so when I get the 3.5mm Waterproof W3 or 5mm W1 I've been eyeing for more than half a year now.

Back
Top Bottom