Is it just me??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. The point is that she purchased gear she ended up not wanting, partially due to lack of experience (would she not have bought a BPW had she have tried one first?). It was a bad example, but the principle is the same.

You know, you can rent BP/W too :)
(Though maybe not at tropical resorts that cater to the masses.)

My wife was perfectly happy to rent her gear ... until the day I took it upon myself to buy her a full set of gear as a Christmas present. She quickly adopted the gear as though it were a child and now jealously guards it. The gear includes a Zeagle Zena--one of those BCs that supposedly is designed for a woman's body. She cherishes the Zena and her Suunto Cobra computer and is having a hard time letting go as we transition to DIR equipment, which despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary she continues to suspect is macho.

I don't think it is a male/female, mars/venus thing. I am female and the one that is more into diving, researched the items we both own, bought my dive computer and all gear except tanks. I bought my boyfriend a dive computer for Christmas. He likes diving but the gear, planning trips, etc is just further down on his personal radar than it is on mine.

I agree. It's more a diver/maybe diver thing. My husband and I like to have matching gear, but we discuss before we purchase. I definitely would not want to rent -- I want my own gear that I am comfortable with and know that it is well maintained.

When my wife did her first ocean dive following OW training, all I had to do was let her see how rental equipment is typically cleaned and sanitized following group boat dives in the Caribbean to convince her of the desirability of having her own gear. Once she understood that most everyone pees in the wetsuit, it was a done deal. Also, since she was having issues with buoyancy control, she did not want to have to readjust to a different set of gear on each dive with a different dive op.

I suspect that rental gear as opposed to her very own is just not something that matters to her. As much as it is hard for those of us of one mind to fathom those that feel differently, these differences do exist. Just like some of us could not bear driving a 18 yr-old, very basic car and some of love the fact that the normal expected life of our car is gone but because it stiill runs fine and it's like we're driving all these extra years for free.
I know lots of people whose phones cost more than my car :blinking:
But each one of my 2 canister lamps costs more than their phone :D

She might enjoy her own gear but I'd be careful (a) about not being pushy and (b) about not doing things like this without her input - apparently she gave you a shot across the bow last time you did that! I think you should just keep the offer open but don't buy anything w/o her OK. Until then invest your cash on other things like some fun diving for both of you as well as books, equipment, classes ect WHEN SHE DECIDES she wants such things.

Remember: when mom's happy, everybody is happy. When mom's not happy ain't nobody happy.

Step #1 - Slip a piece of mushy food into her rental reg mouthpiece when she's not looking.
Step #2 - When you're gearing up, tell her in vivid detail a story you heard from the DM about some guy on the boat yesterday that threw up macaroni and cheese mid-dive.
Step #3 - Get your credit card ready.

might work or might get you the couch for a while or worse.....

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

I suspect that rental gear as opposed to her very own is just not something that matters to her. As much as it is hard for those of us of one mind to fathom those that feel differently, these differences do exist. Just like some of us could not bear driving a 18 yr-old, very basic car and some of love the fact that the normal expected life of our car is gone but because it stiill runs fine and it's like we're driving all these extra years for free.
I know lots of people whose phones cost more than my car :blinking:
But each one of my 2 canister lamps costs more than their phone :D

She might enjoy her own gear but I'd be careful (a) about not being pushy and (b) about not doing things like this without her input - apparently she gave you a shot across the bow last time you did that! I think you should just keep the offer open but don't buy anything w/o her OK. Until then invest your cash on other things like some fun diving for both of you as well as books, equipment, classes ect WHEN SHE DECIDES she wants such things.

Remember: when mom's happy, everybody is happy. When mom's not happy ain't nobody happy.

i can believe it about your can lights - $700 smartphones can be less expensive than a good canister.

and i say look at this way--- at least your wife dives... mine gets motion sick and wont even consider it or snorkeling... Dramamine not withstanding...
but my tradeoff is that she's a bellydancer and i get to watch her and "admire" the other dancers :D

Hi Kerry,

I didn't get to read every last response but based on the opposing pattern with my wife I'll offer another theory that fits.

To some divers the gear, especially the BC, regulator and obligatory mask are real security items, not unlike the 3 bears...this one's too loose, this one's too tight, this on is just right. They want their chosen gear,no more, no less.

Your wife (and this fits with the lifeguard / water comfort part) is more, shall we say rough and tumble. If the tank is still on her back it must fit well enough. Anything within reason enables her and that's good enough. Eventually she will discern differences and begin to express the gear head within. For now enjoy the lightweight baggage.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom