Is it legal to scuba with Manatees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and I just looked at the link to your LDS. That trip is crazy expensive, especially if there are two of you.

Drive down & back: $400 tops
Motel for 2 nights: $200 tops
Snorkel trip for 2: $80 or so

That leaves you at least $300 in beer money (or to dive some other sites).

If there are 3 of you, that's $750 in beer money! :)

Oh, and I just looked at the link to your LDS. That trip is crazy expensive, especially if there are two of you.

Drive down & back: $400 tops
Motel for 2 nights: $200 tops
Snorkel trip for 2: $80 or so

That leaves you at least $300 in beer money (or to dive some other sites).

If there are 3 of you, that's $750 in beer money! :)
It would seem that way... but they have this sleeper bus... no driving... I've done that with them down to the Keys... what a pleasure to wake up, and be *at* the site, ready to get on the boat and splash...

Yeah, I reckon so... But I'm a cheap bastage! :idk:

It would seem that way... but they have this sleeper bus... no driving... I've done that with them down to the Keys... what a pleasure to wake up, and be *at* the site, ready to get on the boat and splash...

It is probably like the dive I mentioned above. The manatee part is only snorkling; but the rest is scuba. I don't think there is ever any manatees at Devils Den or Blue Grotto. The cave I dove at in Crystal River just happened to be right underneath the manatees. The guide did mention not to approach the manatees with scuba gear on, but if they swam up to you...that was ok.

I did the same snorkel/dive trip with American Pro that you did. The boat cap't told us that snorkeling is allowed with manatees, but not scuba diving. As you said, after the snorkel, the divers put on their gear and dive Kings Cavern which is in the middle of the Crystal River. If a manatee happens to approach the divers while they are coming into or out of the cavern, all is well. If the divers chase the manatees or reach out and pet them while on scuba, all is not well.

Is that true, Rob? I had a friend go down to FL to do a (O2) CCR class and I could swear he said he went diving with them. He did mention it was absolutely illegal to approach them, but that if they came over to you, it was ok to stay.

Yes, it is. There are manatee sanctuaries throughout the state. Crystal River is one of those sanctuaries. Although they do have a "diving" zone over King's Cavern, it's a small squared off area and if manatees are there, shops are not allowed to let divers in the water on scuba. In Blue Spring Park in Orange County the rangers have been known to cite divers even when they were already in the water when the manatees came into the spring run. If you are in the water and a manatee approaches you, you are supposed to exit the water. I have been in the water when a manatee approached. This was in the Santa Fe at Devil's. We dropped underwater and the manatee swam up the spring run. It was there for about 30 seconds then took off back into the river. We just went into the cave (they won't follow you in there). It is not okay to stay in the water if they approach. Depending on where your friend was, there may not have been rangers around, but they do patrol Crystal River during the cold months and are always on watch at Blue Springs Park. In fact, they even close the spring to swimmers when the manatees decide to take residence in the spring run.

Thank you all for your replies.

Unfortunately I will be in Florida in July, so I will wait till next winter and snorkel with the manatees.

It is illegal in the state of Florida to dive with manatees. If caught you will be heavily fined. They don't like the bubbles anyway. They're more likely to hang out with you when you're on snorkel. Crystal River is also not very deep and not worth scuba diving.
I just looked at your cave diving videos, they are very convincing. I'm not a cave diver and don't intend to become one. But for people that want to be, these videos are a must to see. Thanks for sharing.

It is illegal in the state of Florida to dive with manatees. If caught you will be heavily fined. They don't like the bubbles anyway. They're more likely to hang out with you when you're on snorkel. Crystal River is also not very deep and not worth scuba diving.

Is there a link somewhere with the state or federal legislation stating it is illegal to scuba dive with them? I just found guidelines at FWC and they just warn you about the bubbles and noises scaring them away, and also not to follow them or chase if you happen to encounter one of them. Just wanted to find some official info instead of just taking someone's word.

Can you link the statute? I dive with manatees every single year in the presence of FWC

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom