Is it OK to dive with pink eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I might have it. I can't get to a doctor before Wednesday and I am leaving for Grand Cayman on Thursday.

Medical regulators, what do you think? Is there any reason for me to refrain from diving?

I know your comments are not a diagnosis and I promise not to sue you.

Just get some topical cream and you'll be all set :)

(edit) disclaimer: This suggestion was meant as humorous and is a reference to a certain popular cartoon which suggested topical cream as a cure for pink eye. It was not in any way meant as legitimate medical advice.

The only problem that I can think of would be to give it to your other eye or share a mask and run the slight risk of giving it to the one using your mask. No increased interoccular pressure is associated with the Pink Eye. It is a simple bacteria infection that can be fixed easily with eyedrops. Go to your MD and get some antibiotic eye drops or it will be a pain in the a__. Have a great time.

I have been a ICU nurse for 8 years but have only my dealings with Pink Eye and a good Med-Surg book to reference as a source of info.

Good Times,
Matt:=-)

I'm sorry to hear that.

As is becoming distressingly common in this forum, some of what you have been told so far well may be incorrect, e.g., "It is a simple bacteria infection that can be fixed easily with eyedrops," "Just get some topical cream and you'll be all set." According to your post, it's not yet even certain what you may have.

"Pink eye" is a layman's term for an infection of the outer-most layer of the eye, or conjunctiva. Medically termed conjunctivitis, it may be viral (often associated with a cold), allergic (often associated with allergy season, but can be due to cosmetics, drugs & other substances) or bacterial (typically staph or strep) and each is addressed differently.

The viral type has no true cure that I am aware of, and usually resolves within 2-4 weeks. Symptomatic relief may be obtained through the use of OTC eye drops & cool compresses. If the infection is especially bothersome, your physician may prescribe steroid drops.

The allergic type is treated by removal of the irritating agent(s), and OTC eye drops & cool compresses. Antihistamines can also be helpful. Again, if the infection is especially bothersome your physician may prescribe steroid drops.

Bacterial conjunctivitis is the only one that will be benefited by prescription antibiotic drops or ointments, preferably of a broad spectrum type. While improvement with medication is usually fairly prompt, some cases do require prolonged treatment.

A physician will be able to sort out the exact diagnosis & appropriate treatment.

In the meantime, the viral & bacterial types are contagious, and one will want to avoid sharing masks, towels or even shaking hands with others. Keep fingers away from the eyes, and wash hands often.

Untreated, the condition could get worse & interfere with scuba.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I do hope it works out for you.

DocVikingo

Not sure if it would spread it...but dont use the common bucket of fresh water to dunk your mask like everyone else there is doing. If you must wash out your mask in between dives....take along a squeeze top water bottle.
Be considerate to others.

If it is bacterial or viral in origin, it most certainly can be spread to others.

You make a good point.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Sorry to hear what Doc?

Its nice to hear you have a grasp on "Pink Eye". As I said I only have my own experience to go by as well as a Med Surg book. Your reply reads like the King James Version, are you an MD? Full of good stuff though. To often we try to complicate things though...ya think. Of course we dont have an official diagnosis but I think the question was asked to see if it was ok to SCUBA. My response by definition was a worse case response. We tend to pass it around the unit...usually from MD's not washing their hands.
Thanks,:doctor:

(Q) "Sorry to hear what Doc?"
(A) Sorry to hear that raviepoo seems to be experiencing an abnormality of the eye just prior to departure on a dive trip.

(Q) Do I think that, "To often we try to complicate things though...? (sic)"
(A) I like to think that such a statement does not characterize medical professionals & paraprofessionals in general, although I'm sure it happens occasionally.

In the instant case, I honestly do not think that discussing the matter of the proper diagnosis, and possible treatment, of suspected conjunctivitis is complicating matters unnecessarily. On the contrary, this general approach is standard medical practice.

Given the discussion in my initial post, I would counter that a response of, "It is a simple bacteria infection that can be fixed easily with eyedrops" is an unwarranted simplification.

In any event, I do appreciate the compliment, but my response really only appears to be the 'King James Version" within the context of the thread thus far. I'm sure an ophthalmologist would do a much superior job.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Agreed.

Regards,

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom