Is it OK to dive with pink eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An inflamation of the eye (iritis)can even appear similar to pink eye. You need to be checked by an eye doc. If it is viral, there is one treatment which may help. I have used it on 12 patients and there are 2 published studies. It is safe and easy and in my experience cures viral pink eye in 2 days. Pm me if it is viral and I will send the info to your Dr.
Lloyd

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions.

In the few hours between my first post and my visit to the emergency, 24 hour, eye and ear hospital (living in a city of 10 million people DOES have a few benefits) the eye swelled up and turned beet red and started to hurt. The doctor says I don't have anything infectious. I can't read her handwriting but I think the diagnosis is sclerotis or something like that. "Inflamation" is what she told me. No clue at all about how this happened. I can't associate it with any event and it is only in one eye. My vision is not impaired in any way, but boy, am I ugly to look at.

I have "Acular" drops and prescription strength Motrin which I've been taking since last night. It doesn't appear to have made much of a difference. My eye looks like a strawberry jello shot with an iris in the center. I go back for a follow up Wednesday afternoon.

I am starting to believe that the diving gods don't want me in the water. On my last trip I had the head cold from hell and the time before that I got a concussion. This illness thing is getting old, very fast.

Unless the doctor at my follow up appt tells me explicitly that diving is not allowed I will probably go in the water. I'm going to call DAN tomorrow after the appt and see what they say.

;-0

Sounds like a rather non-specific diagnosis & treatment to this point. Please do let me know what happens at follow up.

BTW, if the eye gets worse while on vacation Dr. Robert Crichlow (949-2320) & Dr. Mani Krishna (945-1565) both maintain ophthalmological practices on the island.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Sounds like a rather non-specific diagnosis & treatment to this point.
DocVikingo

That is the source of a lot of frustration for me. Telling me that I have inflammation is like telling an ebola patient that he is bleeding. I have no idea why this happened, and no idea how to prevent it from happening again. Am I allergic to my laundry detergent? Did a bad chemical get in my eye? Is it lupus> Did someone place a voodoo curse on me? Will diving to 3 atmospheres make my eye explode?

This is very frustrating.

I suppose I'll post the result when I return from Crand Cayman,

Raviepoo,
Were you seen by an eye doc? Alot of times you see a resident MD in the ER. They might not have even been an eye doc.

Scleritis is an inflamation of the sclera(the rigid wall of the eye). It is a form of autoimmune disease and will usually require a systemic work up. It is possible that it is an episcleritis. An inflamation of the thin membrane surrounding the eye. This is also a form of autoimmune reaction but is less severe and more common. If it is scleritis, we generally put our patients on steroids.

As you know this is for educational purposes only and not an establishment of a Dr.- patient relationship. It is not an attempt to diagnose or treat you.

If you would like more info post your questions here or PM me. I teach in this area.
Good Luck,
Lloyd

I'm back after a fabulous trip to Grand Cayman. For the first day or two people were taken aback by my bright, red eye, until I told them that I spoke to DAN and was cleared to dive with the condition. The drops that the eye doctor gave me worked and the condition cleared up in a matter of days. I just hope I never get it again.

Thanks to everyone who offered useful information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom