Is it possible to Decompress to 0bar (Space, Vacuum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not doubt you, but I find it odd that they would design for that much pressure. 21% is as safe as air on earth in regards to a fire and human survival. But they could have saved a lot and get the same results by running a lower pressure. .8 or .9 ATA. But that gets into spacecraft design. I don't have the meeting notes on why 1 ATA was chosen.

I did see the James Webb telescope a few months before it was shipped off and flung into space. But that one isn't trying to keep anyone alive.
I will defer to the engineers on that one. I only know this because Duke helped develop the O2 pre-breathe protocol.

Best regards,
DDM

ISS is pressurized to 1 ATA and runs 21% O2.
Thanks for the correction on the ISS, a poor example on my part. Looking further, the various space shuttles were similarly configured (1 atm/21%). The shuttle EVA suits, on the other hand, used 100% O2 at about 0.3 atm (perhaps most applicable to the OP's question).

I'm not doubt you, but I find it odd that they would design for that much pressure. 21% is as safe as air on earth in regards to a fire and human survival. But they could have saved a lot and get the same results by running a lower pressure. .8 or .9 ATA. But that gets into spacecraft design. I don't have the meeting notes on why 1 ATA was chosen.

I did see the James Webb telescope a few months before it was shipped off and flung into space. But that one isn't trying to keep anyone alive.
I have. as tiny guess as for why -- but not an engineering oriented one (not affiliated with Space kinda tech); they run a lot of bio experiments up there on the effects of near-weightlessness on plants and animals (humans); and probably you'd wanna control the other variables

Another guess is; if you run at lower pressure you'd need higher O2% to match the ppo2; riskier for fire (think Cristolube), need better maintnance for air pathways, maybe alos long term exposure has CNS impact? (I didn't think this one through so I could be completely off with my logic)
🤷‍♀️
I hope someone out there can clarify (I also wanna know)

Some interesting finds on the space deco protocol would be find if you search for the apollo-soyuz 1975 mission, and the intermediate deco Chamber between Soyuz (1 ATA air) and Apollo (0.3 ATA O2)

Back
Top Bottom