Is it possible to haul a single cylinder worth of scuba gear, suit included on a motorcycle. If so, has anyone ever done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't they make side cars and trailers?
The legendary Don Silcock rode this around Australia, at least until it blew up 18 months ago:

1694806901667.jpeg

How about
They can't dive, only snorkel.

Now that I think about it... Let's take a hypothetical 500cc single cylinder motorcycle engine. At a steady 3000rpm, that's about 700 liters per minute (.5l minus the approx 6% fuel vapor x 1500 since there's an intake stroke once every 2 complete revolutions of the crankshaft). So an 11 liter tank at 300 bar would be good for 4.7 minutes at sea level pressure That would be quite a test for the regulator second stage.

You could add some serious power with nitrox though :)

I no longer ride motorcycles but I have the next best thing! It even has the luggage rack right in front so I can keep an eye on my gear! Now if I could only find water around here deep enough to dive in. Hmmm!
UHpuYAo.jpg

They can't dive, only snorkel.

Now that I think about it... Let's take a hypothetical 500cc single cylinder motorcycle engine. At a steady 3000rpm, that's about 700 liters per minute (.5l minus the approx 6% fuel vapor x 1500 since there's an intake stroke once every 2 complete revolutions of the crankshaft). So an 11 liter tank at 300 bar would be good for 4.7 minutes at sea level pressure That would be quite a test for the regulator second stage.

You could add some serious power with nitrox though :)
That's very interesting, as I made some experiments with my Fantic Trial 125 in 1979. I mounted a Scubapro 109 reg on the air intake, wearing a double tank on my shoulders, with a second reg for me.
The engine did suck a lot of air, but the 109 was keeping up to the demand, perhaps not at full throttle.
unfortunately I have no photo or video of those experiments, but I managed to run the bike underwater in a river...
Here my bikes, which I am still owning:
The bike used for these tests was this one:
Fantic-Trial125-Left.JPG
Fantic-Trial125-Left.jpg

That's very interesting, as I made some experiments with my Fantic Trial 125 in 1979. I mounted a Scubapro 109 reg on the air intake, wearing a double tank on my shoulders, with a second reg for me.
The engine did suck a lot of air, but the 109 was keeping up to the demand, perhaps not at full throttle.
unfortunately I have no photo or video of those experiments, but I managed to run the bike underwater in a river...
Here my bikes, which I am still owning:
The bike used for these tests was this one:
Fantic-Trial125-Left.JPG
Fantic-Trial125-Left.jpg
You would be amazed at how they have changed since those air cooled twin shock days. That is now the vintage class. Most of the bikes are still 2-stroke but EFI is getting common and of all things, electric start.

Back
Top Bottom